TheBanyanTree: The Week in Review

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Tue Jun 20 07:06:19 PDT 2006

In a message dated 6/17/06 10:05:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
margaretkramer at comcast.net writes:
That’s why basements were invented, you see, to have a place for rowdy
little children to go.  Our last house was totally finished, so we had no
“junk” area.  I love this basement, because it’s what a basement should be.
THAT'S another thing I don't like about Florida: there are no basements.

I am in a farm house, and it has closets and storage space for everything I
might need in a day, from cooking, to hobby to writing, etc.  BUT, there is NO
storage for those things you might need one day/hate to throw away because
it's still good/it was given to you by someone beloved and how can you bear to
part with it?

We have a huge kitchen, and every wall is cabinetted, and it has an island
for more food prep stuff, BUT, where can I put the 50-cup coffee urn I might use
once a year and will not fit into the cabinets/ my grandmother's cast iron
cookware that leaves rust rings on the "good" cupboards/the holiday dishes and
serving pieces/and all the warrantee and instruction booklets for all the
appliances?

I NEED A BASEMENT!!  But, here in Florida, if I dig a hole, even to plant a
small, potted tree, I get water.  There are also no attics, for some goofy
reason.  There is no storage for all my "junk".

I envy you your basement, Margaret.  I may have to resort of building an
above-ground "basement" so I can clear out the garage and odd corner of my boxes
and good stuff.

NancyLee