TheBanyanTree: Killer Taz Strikes Again

Rob McMonigal trebro at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 19:33:39 PDT 2006

Some of you may remember that Taz, in my old apartment, was quite the
mouse-killer.  We didn't get that many mice up on the second floor, but
those that were stupid enough to venture around were quickly shown the error
of their ways.

Well, it's been quiet since we moved here.  Which surprised me a bit,
because my parents always have the occasional mouse around the house.

Tonight, that occasional mouse made the mistake of meeting up with my killer
kitty.

The three of us are chilling in the living room, watching TV, when Taz comes
up.  He's got that funny body languge I'd recognize anywhere.  Without
looking further, I announced, "He's got a mouse."
"Get it off him!"
"That's going to be a bit hard, Mom.  He doesn't like to let go, that's why
we had a co-kill one evening."
Dad, ignoring me, gets the treats out.  Damned if that doesn't work.  Kids
always react better to what grandparents tell them, anyway.

Good boy, Taz.

Taz looks around a bit, then saunters off to the basement. About 15 or so
minutes later, he's back--with another mouse.  Good grief!  We get this one
off of him, a bit easier than usual because I think he knows treats are
involved, and again give him love and praise.

Good boy, Taz.

Taz looks around a bit, then heads downstairs.  Not nearly long enough
later, his mouth is full--again.

"Did you find a mouse nest, Taz?"
"GRrrrrrrr...."

This time, the other cats, particularly baby Noah, have noticed.  Taz growls
some more, and I grab the little one and take him away.  After awhile, I let
him out.  Taz's third mouse of the night is outside or dead or both, and
things quiet down...at least for now.
Killer Taz is on duty!

-Rob