TheBanyanTree: Cheated

Laura wolfljshus at insightbb.com
Fri Jan 13 12:46:02 PST 2006

On 13 Jan 2006 , Scott Daniels made this statement:

> the promise of my own fantasy of what being a grownup would be has not
> been realized, and I think it's OK to mourn that.

I hear you, Scott.  While I agree with Tobie and Julie that the times
themselves were not what one might call optimal, the fantasies of the
times were wonderful.  I remember looking at pictures of my Mom (career
officer's wife, required to attend all social functions looking like a
movie star - and she did!), and thinking there was *no way* I could ever
be as beautiful or glamorous as she was.  I used to love to watch
Katherine Hepburn movies, when she was very young and was always so
beautiful in her lovely gowns and dream-barbie getups, but still so
unafraid to speak her mind!

As I grew up, I decided that since I could never, ever be a glamorous
person (not with this "handsome" face) I would go the other way.  I went
the way of the hippy.  It's easier that way.  No expectations, no leg
shaving, no jewels, no fancy dresses that have to be thrown out if you
drip chili on them.  <sigh>  See?  Glam girls do NOT eat chili.

My favorites have always been the musicals.  Wouldn't the world be a
better place if people broke into song at the drop of a hat?  In 6 part
harmony, with dance moves no less?  If fist fights were all
choreographed, and punches were always pulled?  Yeah, that's where I want
to live when I grow up.  Wherever the folks from "Oklahoma", "Carousel",
"Camelot", "The Sound of Music", "The Music Man", and all the other
wonderful musicals live.

Wouldn't it be loverly?

--
Laura