TheBanyanTree: I was a shadow...

Sachet sachet at alltel.net
Sun Jan 22 11:44:08 PST 2006

My daughter, Chelsea (19), has asked me to come to work and shadow her
for the last few months. She's worked part-time as an Applied Behavior
Analysis tutor since last May while going to college. Our schedules
finally meshed on Friday and she told me arrive at 11:45am so that I
could shadow the last fifteen minutes of one session and thirty minutes
of the next before I had to leave for a 1pm appointment of my own.

Each tutoring session is between one tutor and one student for an hour
and a half. When I arrived I found her in a corner of one of the rooms
with 9 year old "David". He was sitting in a chair with his shoes and
socks off and she was on her knees beside him.  About every 30 seconds
she would take his socks, put them in his hands and calmly tell him to
put his socks on. Between prompts she turned to greet me and told me
that she'd been in a stand-off with David for 45 minutes. Which sounds
bad, but is actually pretty good, because a few months ago, David and
one of the male tutors were in a stand-off for four and a half hours. I
was hoping that this wasn't going to be one of those days, but
fortunately David has made great progress in so many areas of his life.
He's highly intelligent and very strong-willed, so some days he can
still be quite a challenge if he chooses not to be cooperative over
things that he's already mastered. You have to have a sense of humor. I
turned away for a mere second to glance around the room and the next
thing I know David is running through the door, down the hall and
Chelsea is giving chase. She calmly returned him to the chair and
repeated the prompts. After one more minor tussle, David finally
complied by putting on one sock. Wow, the praise reigned down and he
smiled. With more prompting he put on the other sock and then his shoes.
Lots more praise and he was then encouraged to choose something from his
PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System) book. His book is
jam-packed with pictures since is ability to communicate via his PECS
book has escalated in the past few months. It took him 8 months to learn
to use one picture and he now has over 100 in his book. He flipped
through it so fast, chose one and off we went outside for a ride in the
wagon. After a few more exchanges it was time for lunch. My respect for
my daughter grew even greater as I watched how she interacted with him
and his eager responses.

http://abcofnc.org/

If you click on the link, then on "news" and scroll down to "Ricky" you
will see a picture of an adorable 7 year old boy. I got to meet him
Friday since he was the student for the 2nd session. Chelsea adores him
and she wanted to make sure that I got to meet her favorite student. For
the first seven years of his life he has never been able to speak. Two
months ago he formed his first word and continues to add more to his
list each week. On Friday, he said my name! I was so excited!!!! We all
cheered for him. This is just one small example of the happiness that
you FEEL pervading every corner of the center.

As I leaning against the wall, watching Chelsea and Ricky, another tutor
and 3 year old Heather walked by. Heather stopped, looked up at me and
smiled. When I bent down to bring my face to her level, she climbed up
in my lap and laid her head on my shoulder. I melted as I hugged her
close. Chelsea told me she doesn't usually do that. I felt about ten
feet tall.

Some of Chelsea's friends and family think that her job must be terribly
depressing when actually it's the exact opposite. Yes, the children are
autistic and yes, we all wish they could talk, laugh and communicate at
a "normal" level. But the center is filled with such busy happiness that
there is no time to be sad nor the slightest inclination. Every
accomplishment, no matter how minute, is fulsomely praised, toys that
stimulate communication are everywhere and every single child is
learning to communicate in new ways that bring blessed relief,
much-needed encouragement and indescribable joy to their families.

I now have a much deeper appreciation and respect for what my daughter
does at her job.

...Sachet