TheBanyanTree: Heading Back into the Work Force

Pat Martin mspatmartin at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 18 19:41:30 PST 2006

It wasn't that long ago I was worried about my future.  Having just separated from my husband of 25 years, I felt adrift and desperate for a direction.  My friends told me to relax and not force things.  They said that everything would work out.  Smart people, my friends.

In the past month alone, I have experienced monumental changes.  I celebrated Christmas with my mother for the first time in 30 years.  My relationships with my brother and sister have improved dramatically.

And now a job has come to me, a well-paying, part-time accounting position for an engineering company, and I wasn't even looking for work.  To my surprise, my ex- boss, the one I told off three years ago, recommended me for the position.  I have been hired without an interview, sight unseen, based on my resume, my letters of reference and my ex-bosses input.  Wow!   I start on Friday. The job is a casual position that will last six months and I will only need to work between 5 and 10 days a month.  I can make my own work schedule.

I feel very fortunate, and I'm really looking forward to getting back into the work force. Working makes me feel good.