TheBanyanTree: On Being A Grownup

Monique monique.ybs at verizon.net
Mon Jan 16 08:53:19 PST 2006

I don't particularly care for it. I mean, sure, I can make myself ice
cream and popcorn for dinner whenever I want (I don't actually combine
the two, in case you were wondering) but there are downsides. I recently
signed on for a consulting gig half time with a manufacturer for the
next "couple of months." They may want to hire me, they may not, I may
want to be hired, I may not. But they're paying me a boatload of money
and I couldn't really turn that down, despite this being my busiest
month of the year anyway, and already behind. That in itself is nothing
unusual. It's the trying to be a grownup I'm having problems with.

By which I mean: I show up at the office four days out of five for 3 to
6 hours, depending on what day of the week it is (had to fit it in
around my current workload), and I feel like I should at least make some
attempt to look like someone who's being paid a boatload of money to
show up at the office. This is difficult since my clients are accustomed
to seeing me in jeans. Oh sure, I CAN be presentable, but still . . .
this morning I realized how bad my situation was when I found myself
seeking two matching socks.

Matching socks. They've got me wearing matching socks. What's next?
Color coordination? Shoes without holes in the toes? Good God,
ACCESSORIES? I may come out of this scarred for life, but at least I'm
paying off my debts.

Monique
Off to be a grownup for the day