TheBanyanTree: Buttercup

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Sat Feb 25 20:50:37 PST 2006

I dropped Buttercup off for her 4-H meeting early this morning.  She has been
a "member" for three years, since a very young filly.  Buttercup is a
Miniature Horse mare who is full grown at a whopping 27 inches tall.  She is the one
we took to the State Fair and pranced and tossed her head as though the entire
show was for her sole benefit.

Buttercup is one of the horses that the young 4-H children have to learn how
to groom, care for, train for showing and pleasure.  Each 4-H year, a 4-H
child picks out "her" or "his" horse for the season.  This year, a new girl has
Buttercup, and has learned in one week, to adore her tiny horse.

Today, the little girl's Grandpa accompanied her, to watch in pride as his
little granddaughter showed off what she has learned so far.  Grandpa watched
from the fence, while the girl led Buttercup through the course and jumps.
Buttercup, no novice at this by now, did everything asked of her.  The little mare
loves to jump, and never pauses or refuses a jump or obstacle, no matter how
novice her handler.

In a few weeks, there is another show, and the girl will get her chance for
ribbons or a trophy.  Buttercup will do her best, I know.

Tonight, I went to bring Buttercup home. She gleamed from her grooming, and
had tiny ribbons braided into her mane. I suspect she had many treats, too.
Buttercup never refuses treats.

NancyLee