TheBanyanTree: The Coldest Night

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sat Feb 18 05:47:36 PST 2006

The sun is rising early enough now that I’m not starting my Saturdays in the
dark.  I saw Venus and some other planet accompanying the moon when I went
out to get the newspapers, but that darkness quickly faded and by the time I
sat down at my computer, the sun was inching up and I had enough light not
to have to turn on my office lamp.

But it was the coldest night so far this winter.  The temp didn’t bottom out
at –20 like the weather people were predicting, however, our thermometer hit
the skids at – 13.7.  I guess that’s cold enough.  The wind was howling
yesterday, which gave the air a sinister touch, as the wind chills were
getting low enough to cause frost bite on exposed skin.  And the wind is
howling is a bit this morning, but not as loud.  We can deal with this if we
wear the proper clothing.

We spent the coldest night in front of the fire, eating, reading, and
watching the Olympics.  The Americans aren’t doing too well, but that’s OK.
The TV coverage is showcasing the athletes who are doing well, no matter
what country they’re from, and that’s what it’s all about anyway.  I think
Ray is getting tired of the Olympics, since he changes the channel whenever
I get up or go to bed.  We have the boys tonight, and my son made me promise
to let them watch the NBA Slam Dunk and Three Point Shooting contests
instead of tying them up in chairs and making them watch the Olympics.

We’ll all get our basketball fixes today as we’re heading over to the U of M
campus to watch our Golden Gophers take on the Iowa Hawkeyes.  The Gophers
are finally putting themselves together and winning a game here and there,
but they’re not a basketball powerhouse, and won’t be until they get a
coaching change.  But we’ll enjoy the hot atmosphere in the Barn and that
should take some of the chill off of the day for us.  I know my grandsons
will enjoy watching real people play basketball instead of seeing them play
on their video games.

The boys will come home with us after the game and that will give their
parents a break and we’ll give the boys a break from their parents.  We’ll
spend the cold night in front of the fire watching young men shoot for the
moon.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.bpwmn.org