TheBanyanTree: Yet another letter to India

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Thu Feb 16 15:37:06 PST 2006

February 16, 200000000006

Dear yawl,

	Inbetween being overwhelmed and freezing my hands off in the
basement, I wrote another letter to my friend in India.  Here it is.

	Love,

	Tobie

February 16, 20000000006

Dear Phiroze,

	My ex wrote to me via e-mail (he never ever phones) and
notified me that he wished to come over and collect two rugs for his
use, as well as make an appointment to remove this gigantic desk that
belongs to him.  It was actually a gift from a former colleague who
turned sour on the Lab and disappeared after having been fired when
he quit for the third time.  The desk is a modren chic monument with
inlay and drawers that slide out and in effortlessly.  It takes up an
enormous chunk of this room where I write and think and frankly play
computer solitaire.  The space could be better used by some filing
cabinets which are currently taking up space in the middle of the
room.  I will be glad to see the thing go, stick by stick, which is
how they will have to remove it, because it won't fit through the
door in one piece.  I can't even remember how they got it in here.

	So this morning, ex came over and collected two rugs.  It was
a busy time of day.  Meyshe's taxi was about to arrive, and Feyna had
to leave for work.  Neither of the kids wanted to lay eyes on ex, so
I had to coordinate ex's arrival, rummaging and leaving with Meyshe
and Feyna's departures from the house.  Who will be downstairs and
who will be walking out the front door while ex is formicating around
the basement door.  All this to prevent a scene and trauma.  They
really don't want to see him at all.  Feyna is adament.  She thinks
that ex is an evil element in the world and is controlling her life
from his perch in hell.

	I'm  not so sure.  Could be true.  Maybe not.

	What I do know is that every time ex comes over for any
reason, it takes me hours and hours to get over the feeling that I've
been violated.  I can't get him out of my mind.....how superficially
sweet he will be in person while in private, outside my sight, he is
writing nasty letters to lawyers and trying to undo me, stalk me,
criticize my overwhelming job as a mother, take pot shots at me, do
the kids out of child support.  It all makes me cringe.

	I need a respit from cringing.

	And in keeping with that prescription, this evening we were
going to go with Yvonne to see an Ethiopian Israeli stand up comic
(next year in Addis Ababa!  this is a play on something that happens
during Passover, so if you don't get it, don't sweat it.)  But I
couldn't get child care for Meyshe who would never sit through
something like that in a crowd in a strange place listeining to
someone with a double thick accent, once for Amharic and once for
Hebrew.

	So we'll go to our Talmud/Torah teacher's house and study on
the questions we asked her to do research on:  What is the Judaic
attitude toward good and evil?  Specifically, how do we live in a
world in which evil is going on in distant places, maybe even close
by?  Do we tell ourselves, "Yes they are dying in Iraq, but now, in
Berkeley, we must eat our lunch, maybe even enjoy it."?  What are we
required to do about injustice, wretchedness, poverty, travail, other
people's injustice, wretchedness, poverty and travail?  Can there
ever be rejoicing, and if so, do we acknowledge the injustice,
wretchedness, poverty and travail while we are rejoicing?  How do we
live our lives?

	That will keep us busy for an hour.

	When we ask what is the Judaic attitude, we will not get a
simple answer.  What we will get is a discussion of all the disparate
views that great thinkers have had about the issue.  No one sage will
be right and no one sage will be wrong.  We are told to know what all
of them said if we want to form our own opinion.

	That's how it always was for me growing up:  a confusion of
opinions, all demanding equal knowledge and attention.  There is no
dogma.  Or damn little for a religion anyway.

	It's easier to get rid of two rugs and a desk.

	How are things in India, oh two fingered typist?

	Love,

	Tobie
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro