TheBanyanTree: The First Sign of Spring

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sun Feb 12 06:06:10 PST 2006

Our fireplace’s pilot light kept going out, so Ray bought a new one and
spent a good chunk of yesterday morning cleaning and repairing the
fireplace.  We still have a lot of winter left and even though our fireplace
spits out a minimal amount of heat, the flickering flames seem to ward off
any cold air.  It’s good to have the fireplace back in working order.

Our winter has been extremely wimpy, warm temperatures and a small amount of
snow, so the fireplace hasn’t been as vital to have as it usually is.  But
in spite of this warm winter, I’m eager to move on to spring.

It just seems like it’s been a dark and dreary winter for some reason.
Maybe it’s because I have a little dog that I take on nightly walks, so I’m
outside more often.  I’m almost giddy when Axel and I can walk during the
daylight, because we can actually see where we’re going for a change.  Night
or day doesn’t seem to bother him, but it’s beginning to annoy me to spend
so much of my time in the dark.

But the tide seems to be turning.  I noticed when I was filling the bird
feeders yesterday that I could hear some faint songs of birds.  Their
January silence is beginning to be broken.  This morning, too, I could hear
a spring song right outside my window.  I’m not very good at identifying
birds to songs, but it pleased me that the animals are aware that daylight
hours are getting longer and warmer weather won’t be too far behind.

While the northeast coast is getting battered by a major snowstorm, fat,
gentle flurries are dancing to the ground for us.  And that’s all we’ll
have.  The wimpy winter will continue in the foreseeable future.

Today will be busy with indoor activities.  I’ll get a stew going in the
crockpot and get the bread machine kneading and baking bread.  I’ll go to
workout at the gym.  I’ll stop by Best Buy and get Turbo Tax.  I got my
papers organized yesterday when I was paying bills, so now it’s time to get
those taxes done.  Then the family will come over for a Valentine’s dinner.
I have cards and boxes of chocolates and the boys will be embarrassed,
because in their minds, Valentine’s Day is a girl holiday.

Valentine’s Day is for me, besides a romantic celebration of our continuing
love for each other, is  the point on the calendar when our faces turn
towards spring.  The fireplace will blaze away the cold until we turn it off
for good in the spring.  The sun will stay a little longer each day, so
eventually Axel and I will be visible to our neighbors as we walk along
their street, and in a few weeks the birds’ singing will accelerate and each
morning will feature a choral performance.  And the fat flurries will turn
to showers which will melt the ice.  Spring is coming like it does every
year; I just have to be patient.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.bpwmn.org