TheBanyanTree: So much for no snakes...

Red Pepper anita at redpepper.net.au
Mon Feb 6 23:25:05 PST 2006

I hope you don't mind me posting here a version of what I've just posted
on my blog - but I can't think of too many different ways to tell the
same story!  It's an update about our training for the Oxfam
Trailwalker, in which we have to walk 100km as a team of four (ie. no
relay - we all have to walk 100km). The walk is coming up in early
April. Phil is my partner.
****
On Sunday (5th Feb), Marcus, Phil and I did a 38km training walk, almost
3 full stages of the trail, ending up at the top of Mt Donna Buang - and
we did it in 9 and 3/4 hours. This walk was a crucial test for my new
Asics shoes - and I'm glad to say they performed beautifully. A few
blisters, probably due to the gel inserts I used riding around and
rubbing the side of my heel. The weather was lovely - cool in the
morning, warming up when the clouds cleared around 11:30am, eventually
getting to about 27 degrees (celsius).

We started in Wandin, off the Warburton Highway, where you can park if
you are going to ride the Warburton rail trail. This is an old railway
line that was ripped out many years ago, and has since been converted to
a great cycling/walking trail.  The actual start of the stage is about
5km further back, at Mt Evelyn Reserve. AJ couldn't join us because he
hurt his back - by coughing. Sure! We think the missus might have given
him a belting for not doing the dishes.

It was gorgeous in the morning. Our usual routine is to drive two cars
to the end of the section we're walking, leave one car there, then drive
to the start. (Marcus gets dropped off by the very kind Gaye, his wife,
who drives him there from Hampton - often a one hour trip each way. A
very big thank you to Gaye for supporting Marcus like this.) This means
some very early mornings - up at 5:00 or 5:30am. But it's quite
beautiful - on the way to Donna Buang, past Launching Place, the mist
was sitting in the valleys and paddocks while the blush of the sun
spread over the mountains. Driving up to the peak of Mt Donna Buang we
saw at least half a dozen lyrebirds. For the non-natives, these are very
lovely birds, resembling a pheasant I suppose, who have an amazing gift
for mimicry. It's not uncommon to find yourself listening to the songs
of 4 or 5 birds, then realise they are all coming from the same spot -
that's a lyrebird. I've heard that the ones near civilisation can
sometimes mimic circular saws and other human sounds. The "lyre" in the
name is not a misspelling - it is due to the fact that the male's
gorgeous tail resembles the fine structure of a lyre.

We saw quite a few other teams this time. I was very impressed by the
three girls in matching blue tops who jogged past us - but I definitely
won't be attempting that. There were also a couple of mixed teams of
very fit-looking people who were probably gymbos of some description -
quite intimidating. However we were the only ones on the final stage of
the trail (maybe they finished it hours ahead of us?), though we did
meet some other people coming back. Amazing how many Germans you
encounter while bushwalking...

Marcus entertained us through the more tedious sections of the path with
the trivia quizzes he downloaded onto his PDA. For those of you who
don't know Marcus, he enjoys an intellectual challenge and it is very
amusing to listen to him and Phil sparring. Probably more interesting
than listening to Phil and I trying to win points off each other. The
two boys did gang up on me when we got into a debate about the
differences between male and female logic; I couldn't make them
understand the distinctions and how to communicate more effectively with
females, which just proves how deficient male logic is.

The track was good until we got to the start of the Donna Buang
"stairmaster" section - mainly because we had walked on the flat,
groomed Warburton rail trail to that point. They've slashed the first
part of the Donna Buang walk, where you skirt the paddock, but there's a
few blackberries and you have to avoid getting snagged. The track was
still steep, no major earth movements since last time to relieve us of
that particular hell, and I think I'm going to have to train more on
stairs because it nearly kills me. The fact that we had just walked
about 30 km didn't help, I suppose.

Also, I think I jinxed us in my last post by mentioning snakes - about
200 metres up from the aqueduct, Phil nearly tripped over a large Tiger
Snake (poisonous and often aggressive), which wasn't too pleased to see
him. Phil reacted quickly, grabbing the snake by the neck while it
thrashed around, curling its body around his arm, its fangs dripping
poison. He gave it a quick kiss on the back of the head, then pinned it
to the ground, quickly grabbed its tail and lasso-ed it into the bush.
It was never seen again. Actually only the first part of that is true -
the snake fortunately turned tail and scooted back into the bush, thank
god, as Phil was only a couple of feet away and nearly climbed over
Marcus (who was right behind him) to get away. I was much further back -
pays to be slow sometimes.

I thought the Donna Buang track had degraded over the last 500 metres
before the road, which runs across the face of the mountain, but Phil
disagrees. Maybe this was the first time I had the energy to look around
properly. I wonder how it will look after a thousand people have been
over it in a short period. However, the top of the track, from the road
up to the summit, is still very overgrown with tall weeds and grass,
which makes me nervous with snakes around, plus it's annoying to get hit
in the face all the time. Hopefully all the faster walkers will trample
that down for us - or the parks people will slash it.

We had the discussion about how to work as a team. I don't expect the
boys to walk every step with me, and feel that it might be more tiring
for them to try and slow down instead of walking a natural pace, but
they insisted it wasn't a problem for them and that the wellbeing of the
team is paramount. I have to say I am very lucky that I am walking with
3 blokes who are very considerate and really enjoy the team aspect of
it. However the farting has to stop - so much for last week's post! I
won't name names but Phil, you know who you are.

On Monday, we compared notes and everyone pulled up well - little
stiffness, no injuries, and I could walk without pain. Looking good for
100km. Phil and I are off for a couple of weeks so I'll update you again
when we get back in early March. Thanks to people who have donated since
last post - Chee Kong and David. And thanks to the people who have
promised donations - I'll be in touch when I get back! :)
Next challenge - an OVERNIGHT training walk...