TheBanyanTree: Politics and the Tree

Laura wolfljsh at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 17:23:00 PST 2006

On 31 Dec 2006 R J Fernalld wrote:

>  think that Margrgret has spoken well, with grace and articlately on
> every occsion. Just because one does or does not agree with her point
> of view, they and she should not be censored.

censor
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): cen·sored; cen·sor·ing : to examine in order to suppress or delete
anything considered objectionable <censor the news>; also : to suppress or delete as
objectionable <censor out indecent passages>

I agree that Margaret spoke well, as always.  I enjoy her posts very much.  However,
when any of us occasionally waxes political or religious, I tend to scan and delete.  It's
my personal preference.

I would like to point out that we as moderators did not censor anyone.  That would
have entailed suppressing or deleting the item.  It was neither suppressed or deleted
(as is evidenced by this discussion).

If you were in my home as a guest, I would ask you nicely to not discuss subjects
which might upset my other guests.  It is your right to be (for example) anti-semetic.
However, I may have Jewish friends, and would not want you expounding on the
efficiency of the Holocaust in ridding the world of those damned Jews where my
Jewish friends might hear you.  I would not want to hear it either, so I would ask you
to refrain from discussing that topic.

If you were a recently reformed drug addict, as proud as I would be of your ability to
kick the habit, I would not want you giving us intimate details of your drug exploits.
Not so much because I am offended, it just bores me.  I am not censoring you.  You
may discuss either of those topics anywhere else you wish, and at high volume if it
makes you happy, just not in *my* house.

Being some of the few on this group who helped build this Tree house, and as the
ones who help to keep it clean and healthy, I figure Paul and Sachet and I have a right
to ask others not to discuss certain things which might upset or frankly, bore, the
other guests.  Or failing that, at least announce that you are starting a political
discussion so that those of us who would not like to participate may walk away.

That's all we're asking.  Announce it in the subject.  "Political/Religious/Controversial
post."  Then I can delete it if I'm not interested.  It's not censorship - it's courtesy.

--
Wolfie
wolfljsh at gmail.com