TheBanyanTree: Victoria is burning - Part 2

Red Pepper anita at redpepper.net.au
Thu Dec 14 16:35:24 PST 2006

Some facts and figures about our fires.

-- more than 4300 people are fighting the fires, not including residents
who are protecting their own properties. 47 firefighters from New
Zealand, 240 from New South Wales (our northern neighbours who have
their own fires to deal with as well - many thanks!), 1500 staff from
the Victorian Department of Sustainability and Environment (much of the
fire is in public land), and 2800 members of the Country Fire Authority,
who look after fires in all areas outside the Melbourne metropolitan
region.  Our local fire brigade has been called upon to help, and we are
hundreds of kilometres away from the fires.

-- there are 43 aircraft, 480 tankers and 180 bulldozers working on the
fires. The bulldozers are being used to help build containment lines, by
clearing areas of the bush.

-- only one death so far. 16 houses destroyed, according to today's
tally. Total property losses - 21 (includes things like sheds).

The Thomson Dam appears to be safe today, with improved conditions last
night allowing the firefighters to strengthen a 60 km containment line
around the catchment area.  However, residents in Glengarry, Heyfield,
Glenmaggie, Newry and Maffra West Upper are stranded, with all roads cut
off by the fires.  Hopefully they will be okay.

There is also some emerging criticism of Parks management, with claims
that fire trails into the parks had previously been closed to protect
the parks, so firefighters were unable to get in. I am certain that when
all this is over, there will be a lot of finger-pointing between rural
residents and parks management over the environmental procedures and
their impact on (contribution to?) the fires.

Fires are also raging in the North-east corner of Tasmania, our southern
neighbour. Seventeen houses and a number of other buildings have been
lost there, as the fire moved unexpectedly quickly in some parts.

To quote our metropolitan daily, describing the conditions in Gippsland
(south-east part of Victoria) yesterday:
'Much of Gippsland was in darkness by mid-afternoon, with thick smoke
blocking the sun and ash falling. Les White in Sale said: "I've never
seen anything like it in my life. It's like dead black like night here .
. . There's burnt leaves and ash falling from the sky - it's just like
Armageddon."'