TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 105

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Dec 30 08:20:55 PST 2006

December 30, 20000006

Dear Flick, Flock. Fluck,

	When my mother was a teenager, she and
her aunt Anne (the one who lived to be 104) for
fun, made up a language, based on the declension
of the verbs being:  ink, ank, unk.  So the verb,
think, would be: think, thank, thunk.  The word,
run, would be: runink, runank, rununk.  I suggest
that plurals be after the model of: child,
children.  So:  raisin, raisinren; sheep,
sheepren; book, bookren.  Don't you think English
should be more regular?

                                xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                                 ‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

The one hour career

	I was a waitress for an hour.  That's how
long I lasted.  And that was pushing it.  This
was in the era of Dweller working for his
master's degree in Human Factors Engineering.  He
would be working full time at his studies, and we
needed me to go out to work and bring home the
bread.  This would be my first foray into the
world of the gainfully employed.  And what I knew
was that I didn't want to work for my parents.
I'd had a bad run in with applying for a job as a
dancer in which my dog, Griffith, saved my life.
Now it was time to get realistic.  There was a
Golden Bear Motel situated on San Pablo Avenue
near Cedar in Berkeley, a lower middle class
neighborhood on a busy four lane, divided street.
The motel was attached to a restaurant, your all
American fare.  Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner.  Not
exactly an, "all you can eat", place, but just a
step above.  People staying at the motel could
charge their meals to their rooms.  I'd passed by
the place a thousand times, but now that I was
looking for employment, I noticed they had a,
"WAITRESS WANTED", sign in their window.

	I brought the idea up with Dweller and
with some friends, and the general advice was
that I should lie and tell them I had experience
as a waitress.

	"But they'll know as soon as I mess up
that I've got no experience.  Why should I lie?"

	"Because that's the only way you'll get the job."

	"But I can't lie.  That's dishonest.
What kind of recommendation is that for an
employer?"

	"Okay.  But you won't get the job unless
you lie.  It can be a small lie.  Tell them you
have only a little experience."

	This went against my grain in an
important way.  It was unethical to lie, but we
needed the income.  I tortured myself over this
one.  Lying would be like bowing down to the
Greeks' idols, the golden calf, the statue of
Rah.  I couldn't

	I walked into the restaurant and
nervously asked to see the manager, or whoever
was intended by, "Enquire within."

	"I am the manager."

	"I'm interested in the waitressing job.
I'm working my husband through graduate school."

	He asked me if I had any experience as a
waitress.  I swallowed.  "I have only a little
experience.  Maybe it doesn't even count.  But
I'll work hard, and I learn fast."

	He gave me the job.  I nearly fainted.
He told me to go out and buy a white dress.  That
would be my uniform.  Already I would have to
invest in this job.

	"Show up for work tomorrow morning.  Six
a.m."  I ran off to find a white dress, and
procured one that was stunningly bland.  The next
day, I donned the costume and showed up right on
time, even a little early.

	The boss showed me where the orders went
in and where I would pick them up.  He said to
study the menu.  I took the menu and looked at it
as if I were going to have a final exam.  What
order came with what side dishes?  What was a
number two?  What was a number three, and hold
the syrup?  This was clearly a daunting task.
Customers came in.  A whole family filled up a
booth, and two truck drivers who'd stayed
overnight in the motel came in and sat in
another.  I brought the family their menus and
apologized in advance for this being my first
day.  "Just tell me if I've forgotten something.
I'm new.  But I'll try my very best to please
you."  I came back and took their order.  I
brought the order to the cook, and I waited for
it to come up.  It appeared with a ding of the
bell.

	But the order for the truckers didn't
appear.  I waited.  I actually didn't know what
to do to complain to the cook that table number
five didn't have their meal yet.  I stared off
into the middle distance, hoping the order would
appear and I'd hear that little bell.  But
nothing happened.  I went to the family's table
to pour more coffee for them.  Still no order for
the truckers.  I stood there waiting.  Finally, I
noticed that the truckers were hailing me.  I
went over to them and apologized that their order
hadn't come up yet.  I would check with the cook.
They stared at me.

	"Could we have menus?

	Oh my God!  They didn't have their menus
yet.  I fell all over myself with, "I'm sorry,"
and, "Can you forgive me?" and, "It's my first
day."  "Oh I'm so sorry.  I'll be right on it.  I
can't believe I did that."

	"That's okay," they both grinned at me.
I fetched them two menus quickly.  Then  I
watched them carefully, and came back as soon as
they folded them up.  I took their order, and I
ran it in to the cook.  As soon as their order
appeared, I whisked it away and delivered it to
them, still apologizing.  "It's okay.  It's okay.
You can stop.  You're making us very happy men."

	The restaurant was vacant but for them.
When they got up to leave, I smiled at them and
thanked them again for their patience.  One of
them walked behind me and saying, "That's okay,
sweetheart," reached in and pinched me right
between the legs.  I jumped.  I literally jumped.

	"HEY!"

	"What's the matter?" they smiled broadly.

	I went to the manager and dragged him
over.  I pointed, "He pinched me!"

	"The customer is always right," he said flatly.

	"No.  You don't understand!  He pinched me!"

	"The customer is always right."

	The truckers were enjoying this
immensely, winking at me and laughing between
themselves.

	"He pinched me in a place my husband has to get permission for."

	"The customer is always right."

	I envisioned day after day of customers
like these being right.  I imagined how I'd have
to dress to protect myself.  I imagined what else
customers who were always right could manage to
do to me.  I reached behind me and untied my
apron.  I ripped it off.

	"Then I quit!"  I handed him the apron.

	"Goodbye," he said, unflinchingly.

	Ever after my harrowing one hour as a
waitress, I have appreciated the arduous work
that waiters and waitresses do, and I still tip
very generously.  My brief job was truly
inspiring.  I had handed in my resignation at the
moment of ethical consideration.  So I saved my
honour.  And I got a job working for my parents,
losing a little of my honour in the process.  All
in an hour's work.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA