TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 102

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed Dec 27 08:26:31 PST 2006

December 27, 200000000006

Dear Tree Dwellers,

	Because I've been writing so much, I
started getting afraid that during some crash,
I'd lose it all.  I've never had a major system
crash, but it could always happen.  You never
know.  So I asked my technology/Macintosh
consultant, Dale Walker of Farwalker Consulting
(Remember that name.  She is terrific) what to
do.  She suggested I get a back up system that
would automatically back up my data at chosen
intervals.  I chose daily.  I paid my money and I
stood in line.  She set up the system, and it's
been trouble ever since.  She would have been
back here to fix it immediately, but she and her
husband, who is her partner, went on vacation, so
she's been unavailable.  The back up program
doesn't register that it's copied any data.  You
have to have the computer on at the time of day
it is set to back up data, but if I'm reading my
alert notices correctly, the computer can't be
asleep.  So you have to be sitting here working
at the thing while the back up system takes over.
Then, as it's working, nothing else functions.
Just a lot of pauses and little pinwheels
spinning to let you know the computer is working
on it.  IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING!  I've written to
Dale.  She'll call and come by.  I know she will.

	I know she will.

                         ÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅ

¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢
                           ‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘

The last of the red hot bindles

	I was into the cocaine pretty far.  It
had been ruling my life for two years. There are
two kinds of cocaine users.  The first can take a
couple of lines of the stuff once in a while, get
high, get low and not come back for more.  You
could offer these people some coke, and they
might take you up on it, or they might not.  Just
depends upon how they're feeling.  They rarely
buy any.  They just don't use it couple of lines
of coke and when it starts to wear off will take
another couple of lines, and when that begins to
wear off will chop up some more.  A whole gram
can go away in this fashion.  And when the gram
is gone, if there is not another handy, it would
be time to lick the mirror on which the coke was
chopped up fine, and after that, put some water
in the straw to eke out the powder stuck to its
sides, then look everywhere for crumbs: in the
fibres of the rug, on the razor blade, in the
corner of the little box where the cocaine is
stored, and then the thoughts of where to get
more overwhelm all other conscious thoughts.  It
would not be unusual to call the dealer in the
middle of the night asking for another gram.
When a gram is purchased the panic subsides, and
where to find some more doesn't plague the mind
until halfway through the new gram.  Time is
spent either doing the coke or contemplating
doing it.  Always: where will I get my next
stash?  If the evening starts out with a session
at the coke machine, the evening will end the
next morning, and it may be that sleep will have
to be stolen by force, with tranquilizers or from
sheer exhaustion, the system not being able to
stay up another minute.  It is a drugged life, a
never ending cycle.  It would be a miracle if
this kind of person passed up an offer of
cocaine, even if he or she were on a recent high.
These are the two kinds of coke users.

	And before you take your first few snorts
of the substance, there is absolutely no way of
knowing to which group you belong: Group A, or
Group B.  It is something biological,
biochemical, neurochemical, not psychological.
It has nothing to do with brains or foresight,
wisdom or judgment.  You will belong to one group
or the other.  It is therefore a very dangerous
drug, and an expensive one.

	Unfortunately, I belonged to Group B, and
there was no way for me to have known that.
There was no way for me to have known about the
division of souls, and I had no strategy to
combat it.  In fact, under the influence, there
is no thought of combatting it.  You are plenty
too much fine until you run out of the stuff, and
then there is big time trouble, oh boy and yes,
sir.  I had my routine all polished up and well
rehearsed by the time I was two years into it.  I
could do a gram a day, which is no record, so I
hear, but for me, it was ruinous, and it seemed
like it would go on forever.  I began to dread
the sound of the morning birds cranking up their
twitters, because it meant that I'd been up all
night again, and would probably need some coke to
revive me after I'd slept for a few hours.  I
thought I was acting normally.  But in truth, I
have no idea how I acted.  Rational insight is
not a hallmark of cocaine abuse.

	I had a dealer, John Egan, who lived near
my parents' house, which is where I was living.
John was up all night every night, but he was in
the habit quite a bit more heavily than I was.
He went through grams at twice the rate.  When
we'd test out a new batch that I was going to
buy, he'd set out two lines for me and four lines
for himself, because he had a high tolerance.
That's how he put it, unapologetically.  Where he
got the stuff I don't know.  I never asked.  John
Egan was a slimy character.  He worked nights at
Herrick Hospital in the psychiatric ward.  He was
such a good nurse to those poor deluded wackos.
He had keys to the pharmaceutical closet and he
used those keys with great enthusiasm.  There was
always a handful of pills in his pocket.  Big
ones, little ones, flat ones, tablets and
capsules, coated or sublingual  --  he had it all.

	John Egan and I were having a round about
affair.  I say round about because we never
actually could have sex as John was too stoned,
and couldn't achieve an erection.  One time, I
was over there, and we were in his bed.  Behold!
He had an erection.

	I said, "It looks like a rocket."  He
said, "It is heat seeking," and wiggled his
eyebrows at me.  Then he said, "Watch this."  He
took a puff on a pipe.  He was freebasing,
something I'd never done.  He pointed to his
erect penis.  A few seconds later, the little
rocket wavered, curled over to the ground and lay
still on the launching pad among the prairie
grasses.  "Happens every time, " he smiled.
There was a bit of the sadist in John.

	That night, he called me and said I
should come over.  He was having a little party.
I got in my car and delivered myself to his
house.  I was directed to the back room.  When I
opened the door, I saw a crowd of people,
reclining, sitting lying down, in various states
of alertness.  John was reducing some powder to a
gooey liquid by holding a fire under it.  Then he
put the liquid into a special pipe and lit it.
He took a big suck off the pipe.  Then he handed
it to me.  I backed away.  I looked out at the
people and I asked in a loud voice, "I want
someone here who has done this, and who is now
sober to tell me that it's safe and fine, and I
should go ahead and do this.  Can anyone vouch
for it?"

	And a voice came from the couch.  "Go
ahead.  Do it."  A few voices chimed in.  "Do
it."  "It's fine."   "You'll like it."  So I let
John hold the flame to the substance and I drew
in a breath of smoke.  A half minute later, my
heart started pounding and my head began to make
an internal noise, a high pitched hum.  My heart
was leaping out of my chest.

	"I don't like this," I told John.  "It's
making my heart race.  Do you have an antidote?"

	John said calmly, "Just do a little more.  That always helps."

	When he said that, something snapped in
my head.  Either something came into focus or I
was hit on the head with a tome of facts.  I
reeled.  "I'm out of here," I told everyone.

	I drove home, my heart jumping, and when
I got home, I went directly to my stash of
cocaine.  I grabbed the little bindles and took
them to the toilet.  I opened up the tiny
envelopes and emptied them all out into the
water, and flushed them away.  Some poor fish was
going to get delusions of grandeur.  I took a
valium, and waited for it to calm me.  I never
did cocaine again.  Never touched it, never went
near it.  I was done.

                         ÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅ

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net