TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 95

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed Dec 20 08:18:46 PST 2006

December 20, 200000000000000000000000000000000000000006

Dear Old Folks at Home,

	I keep wanting to go to bed earlier and
earlier.  I crawl into my bed any time after
eight o'clock, to perform my nightly ritual.
First I write.  That carries me through nine
o'clock at least.  Then I read.  I read a section
of the most recent Funny Times, and then I read
the current book I am pushing myself through.
Right now I'm reading, "The Poisonwood Bible", by
Barbara Kingsolver.  And what do I think about
the book?  I think I wonder about her name.
Kingsolver.  Where did this unusual last name
come from?  Kingsolver.  Maybe it was once upon a
time, King's Oliver, meaning the man that made
olive oil for the king.  Maybe the original
Kingsolver solved the King, whatever that means.
Maybe it used to be Kings All Were, meaning that
they all were kings.

	Shapiro is easy.  It's the bastardized
name of a town, Spier. And the Shapiros come from
there.  But not this Shapiro.  This Shapiro was a
chosen name by the great great grandfather
Bogotch, which means, "rich", in Russian.  They
weren't rich.  It was a name given out when names
were being given out to Jews.  They were being
sarcastic.  Well, the rules of the Russian army
were that if you had one son, he didn't have to
go in the army, but if you had more than one son,
they did have to go.  So Bogotch, being of sound
mind, gave his sons different last names as they
were born:  Bogotch, Poleiov and Shapiro.  So
when the Czar's army came for them, Bogotch told
them they were foundlings and he was raising them
for their stricken families.  It worked.  No army
for the Bogotches.

	I went to bed last night at eight o'clock
and fell asleep before midnight.  Then I woke up
this morning at six o'clock.  Here I am to type
up another story.  This one was hard to write
because it deals with my third husband, the one
who walked out on me and my children in January
of 2004.  I don't like writing about him.  I just
want to bury his memory under some fold of my
convolutions and only have to think about him
when he and his lawyer do something else stupid,
causing me to have to respond with documentation
and letters.  But here it is.  As honest as I
could be.

                       ½Æ½Æ½Æ½Æ½Æ½Æ½Æ½Æ½Æ½Æ½Æ½Æ½Æ½Æ½Æ½Æ½Æ½

¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿

How to Select a Mate

	After my awful experience with Glenn
Watson, the agoraphobic with no doorbell, I took
myself aside and thought things through.  I took
a bold look at myself, without any excuses or
devious rationalizations.  How was I doing at
this romance business?  Not well.  What seemed to
be the matter?  I chose men who were shmucks.  I
had a long line of shmucks: cheapskates,
depressives, insolvents, men who couldn't commit,
men who couldn't love, men who refused to have
sex, men who treated me with tolerance, men who
had no direction, men falling off the bottom rung
of the social ladder.  These men broke hearts and
contributed little if anything to the world into
which they were so generously born.

	I asked myself some very basic questions
-   not, "What kind of a man do you want to
meet?" but more basic: Do you want to settle down
with anybody at all?  Do you want to be in some
committed relationship?  And I turned that over
in my head, and decided that I did.  I probably
wanted to be married with Mr. Forever.  So, if
that were the case, I continued, what sort of
man, intellectually, psychologically,
spiritually, did I want to find?  This brought me
to myself.  What was the essence of me?  If I
kept removing traits and behaviours, talents and
attitudes from myself, at what point would I have
to say, "No.  That isn't me anymore; you have to
keep that"?  I determined that it didn't matter
that I did exactly the things I did, but it did
matter that I had creative outlet.  I was
essentially an expressive person:  the expressive
arts.  I couldn't take away that passion and
still be who I was.  That passion provided
direction and center.  I wanted to find the same
in a partner.

	So I was looking for someone with a
passion for something.  Did it matter what the
passion was?  Well, yes.  I would not do well
with a man who had a passion for guns or hunting,
sports, or designing nuclear weapons.  I decided
brains were essential, too.  In fact, what I
wanted was someone, like myself, who derived
primal joy from thinking.  Now, where would I
find this person?  And I thought of all the
annoying music I'd tolerated listening to while
hooked up to various men  -  all that music that
appealed to the brain stem alone.  This is when I
thought that classical music was the connection.
Someone who liked classical music would derive
primal joy from thinking.

	I was standing in line at the post office
while I was going over this in my head.  My eyes
focussed on a letter that the person in front of
me was going to mail.  The person in front of me
was Joy McCarthy, a violinist who played music
sometimes with my father.  The address she was
mailing to was: The Classical Music Lovers'
Exchange, in Pelham, New York.

	"Excuse me," I said, very cautiously,
knowing I was interrupting her private life, "but
what is the Classical Music Lovers' Exchange?"
Joy was happy to tell me that it was a dating
service.  You paid your membership dues and then
the CMLE would send you a read-out of all the men
who were members, marked with location, age, and
accompanied by a brief autobiographical sketch.
Then you wrote to CMLE and gave them the member
numbers of all the ones who interested you, with
a check for one dollar for every man.  Then they
sent you back copies of the detailed forms these
men had filled out, which included name and
contact information.  At that point, it was up to
you.

	I thanked Joy and copied down the
address.  I actually hurried home to write to the
Classical Music Lovers' Exchange.  I set up a
membership.  The packet of the list of member
numbers I received in turn was gigantic.  I went
over this list carefully, very carefully.  I set
aside a whole day for this.  And from the list I
culled eight members who were of immediate
interest.  I wrote back with my check for $8.00,
and got back eight fully formed forms that eight
fully formed men had filled out.  I set about
perusing them through their autobiographical
statements, statistics and situation.  Remember,
these were copies of the form they filled out, so
I had a roundabout sample of handwriting.  I got
rid of the tightwad, the philanderer, the
arrogant bastard and the flake.  I thus
eliminated four of them.  The remaining four
stared at me from their filled out forms.

	I telephoned the four prospects.  One had
already found his true love through some other
means.  "Oh, am I still a member of CMLE?  I
better notify them to take me off their list."
The next answered the phone with a thick Russian
accent.  We talked briefly, then made a date to
meet over coffee.  He called back the next day
and told me apologetically that he couldn't see
me, ". . . becawz you are too tawll."  "I'm only
five foot four.  Not even quite."  "Maybe you
think thiz iz silly, but you are too tawll for
me.  I am very sorry to disappoynt you, and hort
your feelinks."  I told him that he hadn't broken
my heart.  I didn't even know him.  It was all
right, and, yes, I did think it was silly.  But
he was the master of his own fate, and I
respected his wishes.  So be it.  I woz too
tawll.  The third turned out to be a very nice
guy.  Lived in the city.  We talked several
times, but couldn't find an opportunity to meet.
So we kept talking.  Eventually he didn't return
my calls, and that petered out.  The fourth was
difficult to get hold of.  His machine was always
answering the phone.  I left messages, but never
heard back from him.  I was a little nervous
about this one, because the form said he had two
boys, nine and eleven years old, and he was only
separated, not divorced yet.  Still, his
handwriting said he was very smart, and that
appealed to me.

	I was about to give up on him, but
decided to give him one last chance to answer his
phone.  My parents and I had gone out to dinner,
and I excused myself from the table to make my
last ditch phone call.  A flat voice answered the
phone.  We started talking.  We kept talking.  We
talked for twenty minutes.  My mother came back
looking for me.   When she found me, I gave her
the sign for, "perfect".  The man, David, and I
made an arrangement to meet a couple days later
for coffee.

	When he walked into the café, I was
already seated at a small table.  I knew it was
he, because he looked at me with a deliberate
questioning eye.  I stood to greet him.  What I
noticed most about him was his neck which was so
thin it made his head look like one of those
wobbly dolls you see in the back window of cars,
the head bobbing up and down and from side to
side on a spring.  And then, even though our
conversation went well, his voice had such little
expression.  I couldn't read him.  And his big
white face was foreign to me.  His looks were
alien.  He made no expressive gestures and there
were no inflections in his speech.  This made him
mysterious in a way, but different than the
hysterical men I'd met and the crazy one I  had
for a second husband.  We talked for a couple
hours, and he asked if I would like to see his
CD.  He'd just gotten a CD player.  This was the
very newest thing.  Most people still had record
players.  Not only had he bought the CD player,
but he had invested in a real live CD, and I'd
never seen one before.  We stood at the trunk of
his car.  He reached into a bag and brought out a
tiny case, out of which he produced a small shiny
disc with a large hole in the middle.  The sun
glinted off its mirror flat surface, and a
rainbow shimmered.

	"Oh.  I see," I said.  And he put the disc back.

	he invited me to come over for dinner to
meet his boys who would be staying with him for
three weeks, fresh from their mother's house.  I
accepted.  But after we parted, I ruminated about
the match.  It just stuck in my heart and my head
that he was so expressionless.  So flat, so
distant, so seemingly unemotional.  I talked to
my friend Julia who worked in the café in which
we'd met.  She'd watched our meeting and observed
us from behind the counter.

	She asked me what the matter was with him
that I felt so hesitant.  I told her he was
unemotional.

	"Is he really unemotional, or does he
just not express his emotions the way you do?"

	"Well, I suppose he's inexpressive."

	"Then what's the matter?" she asked.

	To every qualm and every queasiness I had
about him, she asked a salient question, and
then, "So what's the matter?" until I finally
gave in that maybe this was a good sign.  Maybe I
needed this change.  Maybe what was best about
him in fact was this feeling of mine that it was
all wrong.  After all, he was a good intellectual
match, and wasn't that one of the things I'd
missed in my previous relationships?  See, I'd
done every decision wrong in the past.  This was
time for me to go against my instincts.  So I
convinced myself to fall in love with him, even
though it doesn't work that way, and even though
I didn't.  I argued myself into staying with him,
and I argued myself into accepting his marriage
proposal.  And by the time we got together in a
more intimate way, I'd done such a good job on
myself that I didn't see the difference between
natural love and an intellectualization of
attachment.

	This is how I came to marry David, the
nightmare of my life, the man who withheld every
jot of his heart from me.  And, see, I did it to
myself.  My instincts were correct, but I'd
doubted them.  Who knows when to listen?  Is
there no way to check on one's perceptions?  No,
there is not.  We are sane and insane at the same
time.  Rational and full of rationalizations at
the same time.  I ask myself this again and
again.  Can I trust myself about anything?  When
can I rely on my own flawed judgment?

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA