TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 94

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Dec 19 08:31:02 PST 2006

December 19, 20000000006

Dear People,

	This is precious time.  Neither of the
kids is in school, so I could sleep in.  But I
didn't.  I got up at 6:30 and doused my dreams.
I went downstairs and put away the dishes in the
dishwasher, went up to the garage and got more
raisin bran, set out Meyshe's pills.  Oh I was
busy.  But then I got to come in here and type up
another Life Story.  This is one of my favourite
parts of the day.  Not to say the day is all down
hill from here, but I love working like this.
Today, I get to pay bills!  What fun!  Good
morning.  There's the sun.

                               ‡¤‡¤‡¤‡¤‡¤‡¤‡¤‡¤‡¤‡¤‡¤‡¤‡¤‡¤‡¤‡¤‡¤‡¤‡

ÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎ

It's Your Rear End

	It was one of the big Jewish holidays,
Passover, I think, and we were due in San
Francisco at a rented hall for the family
festivities.  At that point in my life, I was a
teenager, the extended family seemed to number in
the thousands, and the holidays were huge
unmanageable affairs that required my
grandparents find a suitable facility to rent out
and have the meal catered.  Still, my grandmother
would bring the home made matzaball soup or the
knishes, the charosheth on Passover, the gifilte
fish and other ceremonial foods for the caterers
to serve at the proper time.

	My Aunt Belle would have put out place
cards so that the seating was not just random, or
left to the tawdry decisions of those who would
be seated.  That tended to work out with families
seated together, and not much mixing.  So Belle
would go to great pains to orchestrate the
socializing.  This was always a disaster.  She'd
put me next to Ronnie Goldstrom who would spend
the time interviewing me.  Today, we'd just
diagnose Ronnie with Asperger's Syndrome and we'd
have some empathy and comprehension, but back
then, he was just considered weird, and I would
have gone to great lengths to avoid him.  We'd
take a look around the tables to find our places,
and then we'd proceed to switch name tags.  If
Belle caught us at this, there would be
consequences, namely, a sharp word and a glare,
and she'd replace the name tags where she wanted
them.  Then, we'd wait until she wasn't looking
and switch them back again.

	On this Passover, my father was back east
at a convention, and we'd invited Shirley Van
Bourg and her daughter Julie, who was in the
co-op nursery school with my brother, Daniel.  My
mother was driving.  Shirley, who was huge with
Julie's younger brother, Timothy, sat in the
front passenger seat, and Dana sat between them.
Daniel, Julie and I sat in the back.  This was my
father's little pink Rambler, a fairly new car.
We were driving along on the top level of Highway
101, going north, just shy of our exit when
something went wrong with the car.  Of course I
was a kid, so what did I know about what could go
wrong with a car?  I heard my mother say, "Uh
Oh!" and heard a great deep groan underneath us.
Then the car jerked itself to the center divider
where it stopped dead.  All the traffic screeched
to a halt behind us, and the lane next to us
slowed down considerably.  People behind us tried
to merge into the traffic to our right, and the
lanes to the right of that had to slow down to
accommodate the extra cars.  And of course,
everyone had to look at the pink gNash Rambler
stopped next to the central divider on Highway
101 north just south of the Mission/Van Ness exit.

	This was not the era of cell phones.  No
one could call ahead to the family gathering and
notify them that we were going to be late.  They
would all just have to worry.  And we are talking
about a whole lot of Brodofskys whose worrying is
the engine that could light up whole cities.
Metropolises could depend on the Brodofskys
worrying to run the great generators that power
the lights and make all the wheels go round.
There would never be a brown-out or a rolling
black-out.  Worry would keep our city alive and
awake.

	So, naturally, my mother, being half
Brodofsky, started worrying about the rest of the
Brodofskys worrying about us, in addition to the
immediate worry of how we were going to get out
of this jam.  When crises happen, the children
look to the parents, simply assuming that they
know what to do, and all is taken care of.  In
this case, with the traffic whizzing around us,
and the traffic coming the opposite direction
slowing down to look, cars honking, brakes
squealing, Daniel and Julie turned white with
fear.  I sat watching the cars slow down and
creep around us, and the growing back log of
automobiles stretching back toward the Bay Bridge.

	We sat there next to the central divider
waiting for help to arrive.  Where were the
Highway Patrol when you needed them?  We waited
for a long time, and there was no sign of
assistance.  Finally, Shirley rose up out of her
seat saying, "They'll come for a pregnant woman."
And she got out of the car, stood on the central
dividing ribbon of cement, and opened her jacket
to reveal nine months of pregnancy protruding
into the world, the wind from passing cars and
trucks whipping her dress around her
protuberance.  It was not a minute later that
eight Highway Patrolmen drove up, their lights
flashing and their sirens blaring.  Shirley
climbed down from her pedestal, got back in the
car smiling with deep satisfaction.  "That worked
nicely," she said.

	The eight cops came to a halt by us, and
in their tight uniforms sauntered over, all
huddled in our pink car.  My mother rolled down
her window.  One cop leaned his head down in and
said, in a gruff voice, "Don't you know you're
not allowed to park on the freeway?!"  He backed
off, and another patrolman came to the window.
"You're not supposed to park on the freeway."  He
backed off.  A third policeman came up to my
mother's window and asked what happened.  She
explained that the car seized up suddenly and
pulled over to the left where it stopped.  "I'll
take a look."  Then eight Highway Patrolmen cased
the joint, all poking and kicking tires, looking
under the car, walking around it.  One by one,
they came to my mother sitting in the front seat.

	"It's your rear end."

	"It's the axle."

	"It's the universal joint."

	"It's your rear end."

	The cops had called for a tow truck, but
it would take the tow truck forever to get
through the traffic jam.  Another half hour went
by before the tow, lights flashing, made its way
to us and pulled up in front.  The traffic got
even slower.  By this time, my mother had
discovered that she'd left her wallet with her
drivers' license in it at home.  Daniel and Julie
continued to blanch white.  The tow truck
couldn't tow us from the front, because the rear
wheels were locked, so the police stopped all
five lanes while the truck backed up and went
forward, backed up and went forward, backed up
and went forward, to turn around and tow us from
the rear.  Now, there was no motion whatsoever
across all the lanes of the freeway.  In the
front row of vehicles frozen in their tracks were
two big dangerous looking motorcyclists, scruffy,
bugs in their teeth.  They came over to help.  We
thought, maybe from the size of them, that they
would pick up our car and turn it around for the
tow truck, but they just walked around the car,
peering at it here and there.  One of them leaned
in the window.  "It's your rear end."

	We all transferred to the Highway Patrol
cars who offered to drive us where the Rambler
was going.  Then, the tow truck hooked it up and
had to back up and go forward, back up and go
forward, back up and go forward, to turn around
again and get us off the freeway.  We'd succeeded
in stopping all the traffic and causing a parking
lot traffic jam all the way back to the bridge.
That is what they were talking about on the radio
as the tow truck operator dragged us off the
Mission Street/Van Ness exit and back to his
garage.  There was the telephone we needed.  My
mother called to the rental hall and told my
grandfather what had happened.

	"We were all worried about you."  Indeed
they were.  Grampa said that my uncle Harold, my
mother's older brother, had volunteered to come
and get us.  We were worn out and hungry and
Julie and Daniel were still white as ghosts.
Twenty minutes later, Harold pulled up and opened
his car door for us to pile in.  "Haven't you
ever heard of a taxi!?" he yelled, sarcastically.

	It was later on when my mother realized
that through the whole ordeal, with eight Highway
Patrolmen, not one had asked to see her drivers'
license.  I don't remember ever hearing the
diagnosis for the pink Rambler.  But it must have
been the rear end.  It was our rear end.  I'm
sure of it.

ÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎÎ
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net