TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 91

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Dec 16 08:34:23 PST 2006

December 16, 2000000000000006

Dear Aficionados,

	Today is Beethoven's birthday.  Just
thought you'd like to know.  If you've ever read
anything about Beethoven, you'll know that he
wasn't your regular guy.  He was disgusting.  His
landlady once came in to collect the rent.  She
looked all around and didn't find him in, so she
left.  He'd been there.  Just lost in the mess.
I read, "The letters of Beethoven".  I find
reading the correspondence of historical figures
tells me much more and in much more human a way
than reading a history book with all the dates
and the chronologies, but none or very little of
the characters and parallel progress in the
world.  Mozart's letters are charming and rowdy
and full of personality.  A delight.  Brahms'
letters are dark and dense, and then every once
in a while passionate or funny.  But Beethoven's
letters are full of him suing this person or that
person, complaining about everyone, generally
disgruntled and arrogant.  There are exceptions,
and I can't say for sure, because I stopped
reading the letters when they got too terrible,
so I may have missed something.  But, anyway, the
man wrote miraculous music and here's to
Beethoven, curmudgeon or lovesick flounder.
Happy Birthday.

                              µ¼¼µ¼¼µ¼¼µ¼¼µ¼¼µ¼¼µ¼¼µ¼¼µ¼¼µ¼¼µ¼¼µ¼¼µ¼¼µ¼¼µ¼¼µ

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Pyrrhic Victory

	At Willard Junior High School, all of the
eighth grade English classes plodded through
Charles Dickens', "David Copperfield".  There was
no reading assignment that was short enough.  I
tired nearly immediately of Dickens' style.  I
just couldn't slog my way through two page
descriptions of a vase, and I loathed the
cardboard characters, especially the one
dimensional women who were either angels or
poltergeist, and the Jews who were always
villains of the lowest stripe.  I know, I know.
Charles Dickens was a great writer and I've heard
him cited as one of the greatest novelists of all
time.  Yes, a good exposure to Charles Dickens
would seem to be a requisite part of a study of
classic literature.  So, yes, we all suffered or
enjoyed ourselves through the same book.  As I
recall, it was a hefty book, and dense with
descriptive passages.

	Originally, the whole book was written in
serial form, appearing in monthly installments.
That makes it hard for the natural rhythm of a
novel, and that bothered me, too.  Oh.  I was
definitely bothered by David Copperfield.  I
actively hated Charles Dickens, and it was no
secret that I was struggling terribly to keep up
with the awful reading assignments that took up
way too much of my time.  I was a rather slow
reader, deliberately going over every word, and
pronouncing them in my head for dramatic value,
never leaving a single, "the", out as I
enunciated my way through thirty page
assignments.  And it wasn't as if I didn't have
other homework.  I was taking Math and Science,
History and Orchestra, Home Economics, a
requirement for all the girls, as shop was
required for all the boys.  Yes, we young girls
learned, en masse, how to cook and sew, to get us
ready for our lives as wives.  And the boys, off
in the shop, learned how to hammer and nail, saw
and fix a carburetor so they could claim to be
real men.  There was no mixing of the genders.

	So I had tons of homework on top of
thirty page assignments in English to plow
through David Copperfield and his goings on.  I
remember nothing from David Copperfield.  As
sweet about it as Miss Cobb was, she could not
inspire me to read the book.  Every night, I
would open the damn book up to the same page, and
try to catch up with the rest of the class.
Actually, I don't know how many kids read the
assignments.  Some openly said they did, and they
took part in class discussions.  I, however,
stepped back from making false impressions.  I
even spoke to Miss Cobb about it.

	"I can't get past page fifteen," I told
her.  "It's so boring, and the women are all
drips or witches.  I can't stand it."

	She encouraged me to catch up on the
weekend.  After all, the rest of the class was
reading pages ninety through one hundred twenty.
The gap would only get worse the longer I
stalled, and our grade would be based largely on
our performance with the Charles Dickens portion
of the semester.  Was thirty pages really that
awful much?

	Yes.  It was.  It was when your eyes were
falling out of your head from ennui, and every
word was a torture.  I just saw a copy of David
Copperfield, a nice copy, at a bookstore, stacked
up next to other Dickens classics.  It took up a
sizeable portion of the shelf, and stood half a
foot thick.  I have to wonder if this was with or
without illustrations, but it looked like a
replica of how it first appeared in print, the
font and page layout, so antiquated.  I've heard
all the accolades, the enthusiastic praise of the
depth and importance of Charles Dickens.  I've
listened to the stories of how he acted out his
characters' behaviour right there in his study,
like a mad man, crawling on the floor, shaking
his head, jabbering and blithering aloud.  I've
even seen samples of the man's handwriting which
was, to put it bluntly, that of an hysterical
personality.  And blathering out loud in his
study would normally hold great appeal for me.  I
like those little eccentric touches of insanity,
though from my own private experiences, I have to
feel an empathic ache of anguish for  his wife
and family.

	But with all these things to recommend
him, I still loathed the book and reeled from the
author.  I simply couldn't read it.  This became
even harder on me as the plans of the Berkeley
Unified School District were unveiled.  It was
not just Willard Junior High School, but the
other two junior high schools in Berkeley,
Garfield and Burbank,  as well, whose eighth
grade classes were tackling David Copperfield.
What was this punishment addressing?  Had all the
thirteen year olds in Berkeley taken part in some
communal act of disobedience?  But this was not
all.  Every single eighth grader was being
assigned David Copperfield, and every single
eighth grader was assigned a term paper on David
Copperfield, choice of topics left open, and all
these term papers were going to be judged somehow
by a team of expert representative English
teachers.  There would be a prize awarded for the
best paper.  I am sorry, but some prizes are just
not worth earning.  I did not intend, on this
occasion, to reach for the gold ring.  I did,
however, have to write a decent term paper in
order to pass English.  I had never gotten as low
as a B+ in English.  This was not a time to get a
C.  I was afraid to make another trip to miss
Cobb to drum up sympathy for my cause.  The fact
was that I hadn't read the book.  I'd managed to
get through the first chapter, falling asleep at
the switch, and pulling myself together in time
to wipe off the drool collecting on my chin.
What was I going to do, now that the rest of the
classes had conquered the entire novel and were
busy on page two thousand  to my sixty five?
Honestly, I don't know how many pages long the
entire text of David Copperfield was, but the
feeling was that of approximately two thousand.
How could I even fake a paper given my
inexcusable malfeasance?

	On a crash course, I took the last
weekend before the due date, and instead of doing
anything else that I wanted or had to do, I
picked one chapter in the middle of the book, and
read it.  Laborious.  Excruciating!  Then I
flipped ahead a thousand pages to the last
chapter of the book and read that.  Arduous.
Odious!  It took me the whole weekend, leaving
Sunday night to write the paper.  Hellish.
Laughable!  How I suffered.  I wrote a joke of a
paper, faked within an inch of Charles Dickens'
life, and I decided to put a lot of effort into
the title of the paper.  Maybe Miss Cobb would be
as tired of David Copperfield as I was once she
worked her way to the "S"es, and would be reading
titles, skimming papers and passing judgment on
less information than I'd written my paper on.  I
could always hope.

	I entitled my term paper, "The Four Faces
of Steerforth," about one of the characters who
means nothing to me now.  I remember him only as
a name in a loathsome book.  I have no idea how
old he was, where he was, what he did, what other
characters he interacted with, how he came out.
In fact, all I know about him is his name,
Steerforth, and I don't even know whether that's
his first name or his last name.  I had never
gotten a failing grade on anything before.  I was
not pleased with myself, but I'd done more than
could have been expected of me, given the
circumstances and my sorry proclivities.

	And after I'd turned in the final copy of
the report, all worry left me, as ice leaves the
road when the sun beats down upon it.  My
perseverations on the whole topic, the whole
experience, evaporated.  At that point I didn't
care if I failed or succeeded, just so that it
was over.  My ordeal was over.

	Then a couple weeks after I'd turned in
my dismal excuse of a paper, there was a general
announcement at an assembly.  My paper had won
first prize for the whole district.  "The Four
Faces of Steerforth," whipped the competition.  I
don't know what that proves, but it isn't happy.
I was awarded the grand prize.  It was a very
fancy copy of David Copperfield, with all the
original illustrations.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA