TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 81

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed Dec 6 08:45:57 PST 2006

December 6, 2000000000000006

Dear Pipples,

	Today I have another divorce settlement
conference.  This seems to go on and on forever.
I do not look forward to being in proximity to my
ex, AKA villainman, even though we don't see each
other at the settlement conferences.  We're in
separate rooms.  But I can sense him.  And there
are always nasty surprises at these conferences.
One more thing that I have to settle with that I
don't want.  Less and less that I'll have to live
on.  I hate to be counter revolutionary, but Less
is  not more.  Less is less.

	This is another morning that I woke up
way before my alarm, and I had to get up in the
dark and start moving around getting my day
started.  Just now, the sun is rising, and I see
light outside the window.  Wish me luck.

                               ˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆ

                                ˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆ

The problem with pork

	Dweller and I went car camping many times
during our four years together.  We'd plan these
trips sitting at a map of the western states,
going over the roads and towns, camping sites and
noting the places where the ocean met the land.
We'd mark up the map and have an itinerary, then
pack up the car with camping gear and be off.
One trip, we travelled up the coast of California
into Oregon and came back down, inland.  Oregon
is finer than California, everything on a smaller
scale.  The trees are smaller, the forests more
delicate, the camp grounds more compact, the
people less arrogant.  It's hard to explain
regional differences, but there they are.  People
from California marvel at the absence of taxes
when going to a restaurant in Oregon.  People
from Oregon marvel at the presence of enormous
sales taxes when in California.  Oregon is a
beautiful state, filled with trees and greenery,
rivers, lakes and rural roads.  We took all of
the rural roads, it seemed, and we stopped at a
campground on a lake.

	We set up camp and in somewhat of a hurry
because it was getting late, and we had yet to
cook up dinner on the camp stove.  We'd brought
an ice chest that we'd stocked with food, and the
night's dinner was going to be country style pork
ribs, string beans and sauteed potatoes with
onion and tomato.  I was the camp cook, and got
accolades from Dweller.  How can you make such
good food in the middle of nowhere on a couple of
burners running on sterno?  And the answer was,
because I loved to.  I loved to cook.  Inventing
new combinations of spices, herbs and sauces,
figuring out new ways of preparing the same old
ingredients.  Dweller had made me a spice chest
with all sorts of compartments and drawers, and
it was always full.  There wasn't a cubbyhole
untaken.  So, on our trips, I took along a large
case of seasonings and sauces.  There was no
reason to have bad food just because we weren't
at home.  Dweller set up the stove on the picnic
table, and I seasoned the pork ribs, put them
into the skillet to cook.  I'd brought wine to
cook them in.  Manischewitz, unfortunately, goes
very well with pork.

	As I cooked, the sun began to set.
Twilight is a luminous time.  The light is just
what Rembrandt wanted.  One quote attributed to
him was that from thenceforward he, ". . . would
paint at no other time".  The sunset was to our
backs, and we turned to enjoy the show of colour
and lights, clouds, shadows and the ubiquitous
glow.

	I called out that dinner was ready, and
we got our plates and sat down.  It had been a
long day of hiking and driving, and we were
hungry.  About ten minutes into the meal, it got
so dark we had to fire up the Coleman lantern.
It cast a light on our table, and cast shadows,
too.  When we lit up the lantern, our plates were
suddenly illuminated, and it was readily apparent
that the pork was on the rare side.  Dweller
opened his yap and let the piece he was chewing
fall back onto his plate.  I swallowed mine.  He
immediately began to fret about Trichinosis, the
awful pork disease.  We'd heard from childhood
that you had to cook pig meat thoroughly,
otherwise you could contract Trichinosis, and
Trichinosis was not something you wanted to get.
At the time, I had no knowledge of what
Trichinosis would do to you, just that you
shouldn't get it.  Perhaps your blood became
infected with colourful bacteria that sapped your
white blood cells, or your pores began to ache.
Maybe you could go blind from it, or lose the use
of your tongue.  Maybe it was parasitic and for
the rest of your life you'd have to be feeding
little worms that lived in your gut.  But it was
not to be taken lightly.

	For some reason, we had a great divide.
I was not terribly concerned.  I suppose I
trusted the butcher to have given me clean meat,
meat without Trichinella Spiralis spores or
spirochetes, and I was willing to leave my meat
unfinished, but that was the limit of my worry.
Poor Dweller was seized with terror.  He knew he
was going to come down with the vile disease, and
there, of course, would be no cure.  He ran up to
the closest pay phone.  We looked up the nearest
hospital and I called.  I asked for the advice
line.

	"What seems to be the matter?"

	"We ate very rare pork, and want to know what to do."

	"You should always cook pork thoroughly.
Otherwise you could get Trichinosis."

	"Yes, we're aware of that, but we already ate the rare pork."

	"You shouldn't eat rare pork."

	"I know, but we already did.  Now what do we do."

	"Most pork would be clean, but some
isn't, and that's why you have to cook it
completely."

	"Yes.  We know that.  It was dark.  We
didn't see that it was rare, and we ate it."

	I don't know why the advice nurse needed
my excuses and disclaimers, but I felt she should
know lest I be labelled a careless chef, and both
of us be labeled Bozos.

	"What I want to know is what we should
do, now.  Now that we've already eaten it."

	"Now?"

	"Yes.  Now that we've eaten the rare pork."

	"You just shouldn't eat rare pork."

	"I know!"  Maybe I sounded impatient.
Maybe I even sounded rude.  Maybe she was just
tired of me and my rare pork problem.  Whatever
the reason, she curtly pronounced that I should
call my private physician and make an
appointment.  I started to explain that we were
away from home on a vacation, but she'd hung up.

	That avenue explored, Dweller decided to
force himself to vomit.  He listed the things
that might help: drink a glass of warm salt
water; eat a few teaspoons of mustard; run on a
full stomach.  Curious that none of these
remedies included: stick your hand down your
throat.  But Dweller got his medical knowledge
from his father, and his father was a
chiropractor.  Maybe they're built differently.

	"Where's the mustard?" he asked.  I got
the flashlight and went through the condiments
bag.

	"What kind?"

	"Yellow," he said.  "French's yellow mustard."

	I wasn't sure we had that, but it turned
out Dweller had tossed it in the bag at the last
minute.  I handed it to him.  He got out a spoon,
squirted himself a heaping teaspoon, shoved it in
his mouth and grimaced.  Then swallowed.  A
shiver went up my spine.  He gave himself two
more doses, eliciting two more grimaces.

	"Now what do you do?" I asked him.
"Stand around and wait?  Or is this supposed to
work immediately?"

	He wasn't sure, and decided to drink the
warm salt water.  But where do you get warm
water?  We hadn't put a kettle on.  It would take
forever.  He trundled off to the camp showers to
see if they had hot water.  He returned with a
tall glass of lukewarm water, into which we
poured a goodly amount of salt, then stirred it
robustly.  He knocked it back in one awful swig,
gave another grimace, shook his head violently
and waited for the magic puke.  But no magic was
afoot.  So he decided to run around the lake.
Maybe that would bring up the offending rare pork
that, God  only knows, we shouldn't have eaten.

	All this time, while Dweller was pursuing
remedies, he did not express concern that I
pursue a similar course of action.  So where was
his husbandly love?  Or did he suspect that the
rare pig meat would act only against him?
Shouldn't it act doubly on me, the Jew?  I was
touched by his concern.

	He jogged around the lake and returned to
the campsite unvomited.  I suggested that we call
my mother, the family medical maven.  We both
huddled at the pay phone, and I called, collect.
I explained the dire circumstances and asked her
divine advice.

	"What should we do, now that we've eaten the rare pork?"

	"You shouldn't eat rare pork.  You should cook it thoroughly."

	"Yes, I  know.  But we already ate it.  Now what do we do?"

	She said, "Oh, don't worry about it.
You're not going to get Trichinosis.  Meat is
inspected, and besides, they can treat it.  Just
go to bed."

	I requested that she tell Dweller,
directly, and I put him on the line.  I watched
as his face registered some relief, and then that
sinking look took over.  He'd already performed
spectacular feats to get himself to throw up, and
all along, it wasn't even necessary?  It was
enough to make him sick to his stomach.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA