TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 76

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri Dec 1 07:53:56 PST 2006

December 1, 20000000006

Dear people, treed and happy,

	I woke up again before my alarm.  And I'm
tired.  But I just couldn't sleep.  I sit here
resenting my inner clock.  My Circadian rhythm is
off.  Who will save me?  I went in to wake Meyshe
up, and he stretched and yawned.  I asked him if
he had any dreams last night.  He nodded, yes.  I
asked if he remembered them.  He said, "They were
weird!"  "Tell me."  He said that he dreampt that
people were all different colours.  I asked him
what colours.  He said, "Green, blue, purple,
orange, red, yellow."  The idea appealed to both
of us.  We had a short discussion about the
genetics of it.  Suppose I'm purple and I marry a
white man.  Then, would we have lavender
children?  Or maybe there is a whole set of
recessives and dominants and it wouldn't be so
obvious.  What a great dream!  "Does this pink
dress go with my green skin?"

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

ººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººº

Chess games

	My father taught the three of us how to
play chess when we were old enough to move
forward one square.  Each of us went through his
training course, and each of us had to play chess
with him.  I remember how proud I was when I knew
how all the pieces moved.  It was tricky, too,
because the pawns could move two spaces on their
first venture out of the mold, if you wanted them
to, but only one space thereafter.  And the rooks
couldn't jump over anything, except when you were
castling the king, and then it jumped over the
king and the king jumped under the rook to
protect the king from the enemy pieces.  Every
piece had its special way of locomoting about the
board, and the whole object, as far as I was
concerned, was: number one, to protect the king;
number two, to prevent any of your pieces from
getting taken;  number three, to take the other
person's pieces;  and number four, to check mate
the other person's king.  It wasn't easy.  But I
learned the basics quickly, quickly enough so
that when I had the bare minimum under my belt,
my father would play a game of chess with me.

	Of course, he played better than I did,
having thirty two years on me.  But that didn't
stop him from taking me on on an adult's terms.
He looked like he was concentrating and I took
that to mean that I had given him something to
concentrate about.  But maybe I was wrong.  After
all, it took him only a few seconds to make his
move and he did so with great confidence.  BANG,
and he moved his chosen piece to an unoccupied
square, or worse, he moved his chosen piece to an
occupied square and captured one of my pieces.
Pretty much he did whatever he wanted to because
I was a rank beginner, and as he had impressed
upon me, he was an expert, an experienced chess
player who could probably beat anyone at chess.
Then, why was he playing with me and my sister,
two little girls, and later on, my brother, a
little boy?  And the answer is, because he could
trounce  us soundly and make us scream and cry.
It was triumphant, the way he beat us,
mercilessly, wiping all our pieces off the board,
and displaying them in a neat solid formation to
his side.  If I took so much as a pawn of his, I
felt hopeful and worthy.  But that was about as
far as I got.  He took no prisoners.  He set us
up and wiped us clean, licking his chops as he
did so.  We were just little kids, four, five,
six years old, and we weren't used to resounding
defeats, not the way he did it.

	BANG BANG BANG!  ZIP!  BANG!  ZIP!
CRACK!  BANG!  And he'd whisk another of our
pieces away, smiling at us as he did it.  So, we
wound up crying.  It was all just so unbalanced
and hopeless.  ZING! And he'd sweep another of
our pieces off the board.  Then we'd whimper.
And he'd apologize, promising he would be easier
on us.  But he wouldn't.  BING!  And he'd scrape
another piece into his pile.  Then we'd cry.
Real tears.

	"You're being mean.  You promised!"

	"I couldn't help it.  You laid yourself wide open."

	"But you promised you wouldn't."

	"What are you, a baby?  I should be able to treat you like an adult."

	An adult!?  At five?  At seven?  When
does, "kid", stop and, "adult", begin?  Not at
seven.  Not even at nine.  Hey, I'll bet you're
not considered an adult at fifteen.  So here we
were, little bitty kids, being teased by a man in
his mid thirties.

	ZAP!  And he'd take another piece off the
board.  Then he'd finish the game with a loud
exclamation, "CHECK MATE!  I WIN!!"	  And
we'd cry some more.  We'd get up to leave, go
lick our wounds.

	"Don't go away.  Come.  Play another game."

	"No.  You'll make me cry again."

	"No I won't.  I promise I'll be gentle.
This will just be a lesson.  I'll teach you how
to win."

	"No."

	"Please.  Just one game.  If you don't
like it, you can stop."  And he'd talk us into
one more game.

	Then the tricky bastard would let us win
so obviously that it would make us cry all over
again.  This dance would go on for as long as we
had the patience for it, and as long as he wanted
it to go on.  Finally, he would ZING!  BANG!
beat us  ZIP! BING!  terribly  ZAP!  CRACK!
completely, and we'd be total messes, crying,
snivelling, angry and conquered.

	"I'm not going to play with you anymore.
You're not enough of a challenge,"  he'd  sniff.
But he would.  Our hope that he would turn into a
nice daddy was so strong that we'd play with  him
again and again.  All he had to do was lure us to
our hopes.

	The games came to an end for me the
moment that I beat him.  Suddenly, he was not
interested in playing a game of chess with me.
There was no talk of chess or even checkers.  My
sister and my brother had the same experience.
Once you beat him, it was all over.

	That was the old man.

ººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººº
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net