TheBanyanTree: A big Yes

Sachet sachet at alltel.net
Sat Aug 5 08:43:25 PDT 2006

Although there are so many Yeses to be thrilled about as summer gives us
that last burst of stifling heat, the one that is foremost in my mind at
the moment is my new job. There was the somewhat frustrating irony of
being officially offered the position on the very day I met with my
surgeon. That night I sent an email to the director of the center
{http://www.abcofnc.org/index.html} explaining that my doctor told me
the soonest I (hopefully) could be ready to begin training would be the
first of August. I was amazed and happily surprised when she emailed me
back reassuring me that they would wait and that I could set my own
hours for training whenever I felt up to it.

I managed to push the August time line to a week earlier. (with my Dr.'s
permission!) I cannot imagine loving a new job anymore than I do this
one! Oh, it's been a tad (understatement! <g>) overwhelming learning the
terminology, the teaching methodology of ABA (Applied Behavior
Analysis), the names of all the kids and all the tutors, the layout of
the building, where all the supplies are kept and a multitude of other
normal new-job related things. But, I love it.

I sought and accepted this position for a couple of reasons. I began job
hunting in a lackadaisical manner last winter because I knew that this
year was going to be a challenge for me as Chelsea moves onto campus for
her Sophomore year and with Zach having completed his last year of
homeschooling. With him taking all Dual Enrollment classes at a local
college for his Senior year of high school, my "job" is done. Sure,
he'll still need my encouragement and support as he enters this new
phase of his life, but for the most part, I am on the sidelines. As I
should be. But.
I knew that although one part of me would be celebrating their
accomplishments and their bigger steps into independent adulthood,
another part of me was going to be silently battling the various stages
of the empty nest syndrome, tooth and nail.  I dinna want that.

I also didn't want to jump head first into a full-time job. Part of that
stems from insecurities of re-entering the "official" workforce after so
many years and partly it's because I know how OCD I can be. I've finally
learned how to slow down and not rush through life. I didn't want to
lose that gift.

So. That's why this job, as a part-time tutor seemed like such a good
idea. It's so very compelling and engaging, which doesn't leave me a lot
of time to dwell on the changes life has been, and is going to be,
doling out with such random and/or joyful abandon.

The children captured my heart from the get-go and the teaching method
is utterly fascinating to me. During training last week I was able to
see early video's of one of the children. I'll call him Joey. Joey came
to the center diagnosed with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) and had at
least some language skills. At age four, he could say three words. And
his parents were thrilled that he could say those three words, since
many children with autism have no language skills. But, they'd been
informed that early ABA intervention could expand his abilities to
embrace life. This is the part that is so magical to me! After 8 months
at the center it is very difficult to even tell that Joey has autism. He
chatters away like any typical little boy. He's also progressing
extremely well in learning peer play and soon will be able to begin
school with a "school shadow". (A tutor who is present as support and
provides guidance, but fades back as time progresses, ideally allowing
the child to be totally independent.)

There are so many stories being recorded at the center. Each child is
evaluated by one of the centers consultants and a specific ABA program
is designed to meet their needs. Goals are set and broken down into
minute multiple steps, as needed, according to each child's abilities.
Every child is then assigned a tutor for one-on-one teaching during each
two hour session, with three sessions per day with varying tutors.
(Although some students come part-time.) Yes, some of the students and
their parents will live with life-long limitations. But there hasn't
been one child at the center who hasn't learned to communicate using
either PECS (Picture Exchange Communication Systems), language, or other
combinations. That's why the atmosphere at the center is jubilant at
best and happy at the very least. It's all about the kids, their
families, and how the children can reach their own potential of
independence, whatever that might be.

Part of me is on overload and personal doubts naturally spring up. But,
for the most part I am totally psyched and looking forward to what's
ahead in this new job.

I never even saw this possibility coming as a speck on my horizon.

Life is just so very intriguing.

...S~