TheBanyanTree: witching hour

sash sash at remsset.com
Wed Sep 14 23:32:53 PDT 2005

I have seen too much of this time of night.  Too many evenings, staring at
a terminal, trapped by duty to a task that means nothing to me.  My family
sleeping - a light left burning because soon they will surely hear the car
in the drive - the key in the door.

I have reached up too many times to rub that place on the side of my neck.
 Too many Advil, sipping bottled water, drinking recycled air.  My body
yearning to rest - stress pushing me forward because soon the report will
ready - the data will make sense.

The air outside is crisp and the moon is bright.  Our clear summery day
reveals itself at this hours as an cloudless autumn night - sharp and
fresh.

Tomatoes and eggplant beware - this night threatens to freeze you there on
the vine.

This night threatens to capture me here - before the binders are fleshed
out and ripe for tomorrow's meeting.

No real bounty.  No true harvest.  Just cold and darkness as the moon sets
and the sunrise is still hours away.  Deadlines are the spectre that walk
this night and I am held by their power over me.

- sash