TheBanyanTree: Positive Outlook

Mark Funk MARK at arboretum.umn.edu
Wed Sep 14 12:48:26 PDT 2005

When we experience a catastrophe, like Katrina, it is easy to become cynical and it is tough to maintain a positive outlook.  In times like these I find it helpful to reflect on the words of Helen Keller, who had ample reason to be pessimistic:

Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.

So much suffering, so much irresponsibility, the dark side of so many souls.  To be sure we need to look at it, learn from it, and, I hope, punish those responsible for adding to it or neglecting it.  Yet, if we look beyond the horror can't we also see the heros.  Those that risk and are risking, gave and continue to give, triumphed and continue to triumph, in the midst of the chaos.

As someone else said, if you take a trip and only look for the garbage along the side of the road you will miss the beauty of the scenery in the distance.  Or as the Doctor says in the AA "Big Book": when we concentrate on the problem, the problem increases but when we concentrate on the solution, the solution increases.

Thinking about the "overcoming of it" is better for our collective mental health than thinking about the "suffering."

I know many of you care deeply and have done what you can to help and I applaud you for doing so.  You are part of the overcoming!

Mark