TheBanyanTree: Feeling Like Fall

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 7 05:53:48 PDT 2005

It's feeling like fall is on its way today.  Actually it's feeling like
fall won't be late for the second day in a row.

It's back to leaving the windows open and letting the night air in to
cool the house down to temperatures in the mid-60s.  Ah-h-h-h-h-h-h-h!
So, so nice after the heat of summer, even though our summer has not
been a scorcher.

It's back to thinking about leaves blowing in the wind, Friday night
football games, cool evening breezes, winterizing cars and cookouts.

Cookouts?  Yep, give me the fall for cookouts any day over summer's
days. I just enjoy our fall weather better than summer for such things.

Where's my sleeping bag?  It's also time to spend a night or two
outdoors, listening to nothing but the sounds of nature and being
divorced from the vexing entanglements of modern life.  A mind needs
such things from time to time.

Stepped outside about 4:00 AM yesterday morning with a faint chill in
the air and the heavens chockablock with stars. It was a scene worthy of
a tour in a planetarium. Well, 'cept this one was for real.  I hadn't
seen that clear a sky since John Muller and I stopped on a ridge in the
Blue Mountains west of Sydney driving somewhere north of Katoomba on a
cold Australian winter night in 1998. I was mesmerized by the view
overhead.  The entire heavens, the whole of the universe seemed, as I
instinctively stretched out my arm, to be just beyond the tips of my
fingers. Come to think about it, it is.

Leaves are changing and there's a shift in the wind.  Fall around here
comes much like the fog that Mr. Cummings described:  On little
cat feet.

It, as always, will be right on time and welcome here.

    bd
     ---