Spam: TheBanyanTree: A Ripple in the Force

Sharon Mack smack at berkshirecc.edu
Fri Sep 2 08:53:44 PDT 2005

I couldn't have said it any better.  Amen!

Sharon

Sharon Mack, Office Administrator
Berkshire Institute for Lifetime Learning (B.I.L.L.)
Berkshire Community College
1350 West Street
Pittsfield, MA  01201
(413) 499-4660,  x456
FAX#: (413) 443-1797
EMAIL: smack at berkshirecc.edu
WEBSITE: www.BerkshireBILL.org
>>> "Margaret R. Kramer" <margaretkramer at comcast.net> 09/02/05 8:53 AM

I feel like there's been a huge tear in the fabric which holds humanity
together.  I can hardly bear to watch the suffering in New Orleans while
sit nice and comfortable in my own home leading my typical normal life.
How
would I react to such mind numbing horror?

How can we, as Americans, allow this horror to take place before our
very
eyes and do so little to help.  Oh, sure, we send money, but where are
the
troops?  Where are the supplies?  If the news organizations can get into
the
city, why can't the rescuers?  Why can't they do food and water drops
from
helicopters?

Why weren't they more prepared?  They knew this hurricane was coming for
several days.  It was a category 5 storm.  They knew New Orleans would
probably flood.  Why didn't they have buses and checkpoints and food and
water ready to go as soon as the storm was over?  This is AMERICA.  We
have
a "can do" attitude that's amazing.  Why did it break down here?

We are watching a city dying without its death being caused by war.  New
Orleans is a cesspool.  Would anyone want to live there again?

Some fed guy was on the news last night saying he understood what those
people were going through.  And I'm thinking that this guy is in
Washington,
DC, wearing a suit, and will be able to go home and sleep in his own
bed,
and he's saying he knows what it's like to sit on a roof of a house for
three or four days in the sweltering heat with no food and water?  What
planet does he live on????

Poor Bush had to cut short his vacation, and his bike riding, to go back
Washington, instead of going to New Orleans, and now, today, he's
finally
going to take a few hours to have a carefully orchestrated photo op I'm
sure
in a safe place, and try to look concerned about people's lives being
torn
apart.  I would sure like to see him help evacuate some people out of
New
Orleans, but he doesn't have the guts to around people who are suffering
and
angry.  He's a "yes" man and only wants "yes" people around him.
Where's
Cheney?  Where's Rumsfeld?  Where's Rove?  Where's anyone?  They're all
in
Washington going about their lives just like they always do.

This isn't a political tragedy like 9/11 where they could point a finger
at
those nasty Arabs attacking America.  This is a natural disaster with no
one
to blame.  And Americans weren't prepared.  Americans are watching
people
die within their own country and we can't or won't do a darn thing about
it.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.bpwmn.org

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.  ~Mark Twain