TheBanyanTree: Raising the Bar

Maria Gibson mgibson7 at nc.rr.com
Thu Sep 1 16:06:40 PDT 2005

I don't know how many people are aware of this but you can find some
really interesting folks in a bar.  I have also come to the conclusion
that if I really, really wanted to, I could get laid from a bar.  Pretty
darn easily, actually.  That isn't what I want to do so it turns out
that little factoid is extraneous information at best and just a sleazy
idea at worst but still, it is a gaining of wisdom and perspective.  How
else does one know they don't want to have meaningless sex with a
stranger unless faced with the option?  Sure, you can say you already
know this about yourself, and I feel I did know it about myself even way
before all this got started but I can say it with a certainty these days
that I didn't possess previously.  Turns out, it's good news.

The only person I have met who was just awful was a really young man who
thought he'd regale me with his various sexual techniques (oddly enough,
this phenomenon of regaling has happened three times but I have only
just recently connected the dots about it being a sign that someone is
interested) and many assurances that he has awesome powers of prowess
and could rock my world.  Ohbaby.  Unfortunately, another thing you can
get in a bar is drunk.  Now...I'm doing better at this with a little
practice.  I now only have two beers and no shots of liquor but this new
found skill of knowing when to say when did not come without a price.
One night last week, finding myself out with a beer salesman who is a
very decent guy, and a pizza salesman ...the not so nice one with the
self confidence of a false god, ohbabyohbaby...and his girlfriend, I had
a lot too much to drink.  I think it was the shot that threw me over the
cliff but the wine and beer prior to that most certainly played a role
in the overall outcome.  So after this jerk's girlfriend showed up he
was still trying to score, which was never going to happen and I had
already told him that.  We all ended up at the next place because he
thought he could help the beer guy get another account and then he
ordered up shots which I stupidly drank.  On a trip to the bathroom he
found me in the hall and suggested I grab his nethers and, oddly, my
angry comments seemed only to fuel him.   It is pretty foggy memory wise
but I actually did grab him; not in a nice way, although reflection
tells me that it didn't carry the message I had intended.  It's the
overall haunting feeling that I think I kissed him that makes me gag and
which has forever crossed getting drunk in a bar off my list of "been
there done that got the cheap tshirt and hate cheap tshirts" events.  I
ended up having to sleep in a parking lot for a few hours with the beer
guy just to be sober enough to get back to my car and home...at 2:30 in
the morning.  Randy was pretty understanding under the circumstances but
I think I'll probably bypass any more stunts like that.  I'm sure I'll
see the beer guy again when he comes to town to drink for a living
because he was a really neat person, but the drunken debauchery will be
bypassed.

A girl's gotta cut back somewhere, right?

Maria