Fwd: TheBanyanTree: What were they thinking?

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon Oct 10 10:11:43 PDT 2005

October 10, 200000000005

Dear me,

	Pick up lines I have loved to retell:

	I had brought my writing materials to a bar.  I would sit
there in a public place, drink soda water, or virgin Marys, and
listen to what went on.  It sort of assisted in the inspiration of
writing.  Better than all alone in the basement.  I was young.  I was
beautiful.  But I was obviously busy and had something to do.  I was
sitting at the counter.  To my left was a man drinking his drink.
Let us call him Guy#1, and to his left was another man drinking his
drink.   Let us call him Guy #2.

	Guy#2 leans out beyond Guy#1 to face me and says:  "Hey.
What're you doin'?  Writin' a book?"  I answered honestly:  "Yes."
Guy #2 says, "Can I read it?"  I answered honestly:  "No.  It's not
finished; it's a work in progress, and I come here to write.  Sorry.
It's nothing personal.  You can't read it."  Guy#2:  "Aw, c'mon.
Please?"   I answered honestly:  "No.  I really meant it.  It's
private."  Guy #2 tried another logical tack:  "Hey, what's your
sign?"  I answered honestly:  "I can't believe you asked me that."
Then Guy #2 turns to Guy#1 between us and whispers into his ear hole,
"Gee, it sure is hard to pick up on a chick when she's writing a
book."

	The point is, it didn't stop him.  I mean,  look at it this
way:  I was a chick.  That meant, by definition that I needed picking
up.  The book shouldn't get in the way.  Neither should the great
grand gaping social intellectual divide that separated us.  This was
a guy (#2) who clearly was doing what Mark Funk described as, "giving
it a shot".  Just for your edification, aside from the fact that it
makes a great recollection, as I keep it in my quiver of other
pointed objects, I would have preferred that Guy#2 analyzed the
situation a little more clearly for compatibility problems, and just
held his fire.  On the other hand, if he really can't help it.  If
men really honestly can't help it......you know, they're overcome by
a sweeping, omnipotent hormonal tsunami, perhaps we should have
special places to keep these helpless creatures until they can get a
grip.

	One of the things I really like about getting older (and I
can get pretty old) is that there is so much less unwanted attention.
And  now, if anyone should get interested in me, I know it's not
because I'm a chick that needs picking up.

	Love,

	Tobie

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro