TheBanyanTree: Dog Unmasked

LaLinda twigLLet at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 09:42:18 PST 2005

A hat with a big, floppy bow tied under her chin would certainly throw them
off.

                               LL

We've been doing pretty well with the whole "Retriever Mix" scam we have
going on. From a distance, she could be mistaken for a Retriever Mix . .
. especially since it's not technically a scam, and she IS a Retriever Mix.
The rest of the mix is what we're avoiding. Once upon a time, before dog
prejudice became so widespread, we'd announce her highness as a Chow
Retriever. In these times of turmoil, when dog factions are splitting and
chaos lies just around the nearest corner, it is best if she can pass as a
Retriever Mix.

It is a sad state of affairs when an innocent dog (well, fairly innocent,
even mild mannered dogs have been known to chase animals smaller than they
in the hopes of securing a trophy) must hide her identity lest she be
mistaken for a terrorist.

So far, so good. When out walking her one day last week we "ran into"
the manager of this facility. (If dog and I had known, we would have taken
an alternate route.) So far, all he knew of Dog was that her given name was
Honey, sometimes we call her Killer, and that she is a Retriever Mix.

"What kind is she again," he asked, looking at those unmistakable Chow
jowls.

"Retriever mix," I said, knowing that I was not incorrect. She IS a
retriever mix, and I maintain that position.

We exchanged pleasantries and went on our way. So far so good.

The past two mornings, we've come across a small boy walking (or being
pulled by, would be a more apt description) a small Boston Terrier. The
first time Boston Terrier saw Killer he came running, dragging small boy
with him. Killer was friendly, let small dog sniff around, behaved herself
like a proper dog, like she does when we take her to the dog park and she
runs loose with the other dogs. Small boy said, "There's a lot of Goldens
here."

Aha! She passed! We exchanged pleasantries and went our separate ways.

We saw small boy and Terrier again today, with the dog once again attempting
to come greet his new friend no matter what small boy wanted.
I was looking behind at small boy and dog racing to us and failed to see the
women who came from around the corner. One of them walked right by Killer,
looked down at her, and said, "How nice! A chow!"

Shoot! Her cover's been blown! I was going to start the denial process .
. . "No, she's a RETRIEVER. A GOLDEN RETRIEVER," but we were only passing by
and it was too late.

At least she did not say, "OHMYGOD! A CHOW! GET THAT THING AWAY FROM ME!"
Which is not a good reaction as all the screaming frightens Killer.
In fact, the woman seemed very pleased to see (what she perceived to be) a
Chow. (I'm still in denial.)

I'm contemplating the possibility of putting a brown paper bag over Killer's
head when we go out for a walk. It's the head that gives her away after all.

Monique