TheBanyanTree: What Would You Do?

Cecil cctalley at uia.net
Mon Nov 7 09:12:43 PST 2005

>                                                     (SCHNIPP)
>I was on the phone this morning, legs propped on
>the chair next to me, when he jumped onto my lap
>and settled in.  I was stroking him when he
>suddenly became cranky and sank his fangs into
>the soft flesh of my inner arm, a couple of
>inches up from my wrist.  The bite was deep
>enough that I immediately pondered seeing a
>doctor.  Instead, I wiped away the blood, there
>wasn't much, and cleaned it up with hydrogen
>peroxide. I didn't want to be a sissy and waste
>a doctor's valuable time.
>
>Awhile later, I decided to go outside for a walk
>in the crisp fall air.  By the time I returned
>home, infection had set in. A large area around
>the wound is red, swollen and very painful.  I
>called emergency for guidance and they advised
>me to come in.
>
>So I've been put on 10 days of strong
>antibiotics to stop the infection and told I
>might have to go on intravenous if the
>antibiotics don't stop the red line that is
>traveling up my arm.
>
>Damn cat!  What would you do with a cat who
>bites for no reason?  Put up with him or put him
>down?
>
>Pat Martin

Put him down! That cat is a potential killer.
Never, I mean NEVER neglect the scratch or bite
of a cat. "Clean as a hound's tooth" is an apt
expression-when it applies to a dog. Not so
regarding a cat.

I've been worrying about you, Pat. Life seems to
have hit you with a double whammy. You, of all
people! I hope things get smoother for you heap
pronto. Keep me posted.

Çecil