TheBanyanTree: Another letter to India

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Nov 29 18:19:11 PST 2005

November 29, 2000000005

Dear shivering masses (and sweltering masses in the southern hemisphere),

	I just mailed another letter to Phiroze
in India.  It's about turning on the heater.  I
guess I'll have to tell Phiroze that he's sharing
his letters with about 200 people on an internet
list.  But I can tell him later.

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

November 29, 20000000000005

Dear Phiroze,

	This summer was not very hot.  Usually,
there are at least five days during the summer
that are hot enough to send me into my bedroom,
the only room in the house with an air
conditioner.  If I don't hide in my bedroom, then
I hide in the basement, close to the concrete.
Heat gets to me.  Heat throttles me.  Heat could
actually kill me.  But this last summer was mild.
There was one heat wave, and it didn't get too
hot.  It didn't last more than a couple of days,
either.  I won't tell you how very hot it got.
It would be laughable to talk about heat with
you, you resident of Bombay.  Heat is one of the
reasons that I'll probably never be able to see
India, unless I choose a mountain in Tibet and
gaze over at India from the cool peaks.

	A long time ago, my brother and I drove
up to Ashland, Oregon, to see the Shakespeare
festival.  I remember what I was wearing:  a
diaphanous Indian blouse with embroidery on the
front, and a long wraparound skirt, black with
roses all over it, stockings with photographs of
Yosemite's waterfall on them, and my Chinese
black mary-janes with the embroidery at the toes.
Lots of rings.  In this get-up, I greeted
Shakespeare like an old friend.

	My brother and I get along very well.  We
laugh together and talk seriously together.  We
gurn together.   (You may look that up, or I can
tell you if you beg.)  So the drive up to Ashland
was dense with conversation, the stay in the
motel was what is known as, "a hoot", and the
trip back was going to be an intense laugh riot
interspersed with the sharing of deep
contemplations.  BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT IT TURNED
OUT TO BE.

	This is because there was a heat wave in
California.  We headed down the central highway
that runs right through the middle of the state,
passing some of the hottest spots in the country.
Needles, Weed, Red Bluff, Redding.  They always
report in with temperatures ten degrees above the
average dot on the map.  And they're all dots.
Little tiny towns with a few commercial
buildings, low to the ground, lining the main
drag which lasts a few blocks before it exits the
town and enters the freeway again.  Some are more
like rest stops on the freeway.  Redding is a bit
larger.  People actually live there.  The other
places are woe is to me:  one gas station, one
greasy spoon, maybe a dry goods store.  You
wonder about the people who are working at the
gas station.  Where do they live?  Is this what
life is for them, hanging out to dry in some dwik
pluk hamlet that's two thirds dust and one third
despair?

	Daniel was driving, and this was in the
days of his little sports car convertible.  I
can't remember the model or year, but it was
small.  The temperature was 105º Fahrenheit.  The
top was down in the car, and the wind was blowing
me around, my hair whipping my face.  All I
remember is that it was so hot, so hot.  The wind
helped camouflage the heat, but that was
dangerous.  We passed an exit sign that said,
"Red Bluff," and as we went by, it must have
registered in my brain twice, because I do recall
passing that sign and then passing it again.
This confused me.  I think I started babbling
about it.

	"Did you see that sign?"
	"Yeah"
	"We passed it."
	"Yeah."
	"No, I mean we passed it before and we
just passed it again.  We're going in a great big
circle in the middle of California. I DON'T WANT
TO DIE IN RED BLUFF!"

	Daniel is seven years my junior and
played his baby brother role well.  But on this
occasion, he had to take over, and got the hell
off the freeway immediately.  We landed in a tiny
hamlet that probably isn't even on the map.  It
had one road.  A gas station.  A Chinese
restaurant across the street.  I had passed out
and come to and was woozy and disoriented.  He
pulled into the gas station, and I stumbled out
into the Ladies' room where I promptly threw up
and collapsed on the floor.  I realized that I
was on the floor of a gas station restroom and
that only vaguely disturbed me, not enough to get
me to struggle up.  It was just as hideous as you
might imagine it would be: degrading, filthy,
flies, grease stains, wet toilet paper with shoe
prints in it trailing off under the wall of the
stall.  The whole thing still gives me a kind of
thrill when I think about it, even to this day.

	And the adventure wasn't over.  My
brother finally got me out of the bathroom and
carried me across the street into the Chinese
restaurant.  It was 4:30 on a Sunday afternoon.
The restaurant was the only place within sight
that had air conditioning.  The heat was
oppressive, and I was not thriving.  When he
pushed the door open, he did what had to be done.
He stretched me out on the first table he could
find.   Right inside the entrance.  The staff of
the restaurant gathered around to look at the
sick lady and find out the straight scoop,
probably the most exciting thing to happen in
that town for years, if you don't count the
spring rolls.  The cool did revive me somewhat,
but I was too dizzy to stand up, and just lay
there on the table as a scattering of customers
dragged in for their Sunday afternoon meal.  Now,
here's where heat stroke did not get the better
of me.  For some reason, in the healing
atmosphere of the restaurant, my sense of humour
sprang up, and I opened my mouth and announced,
"Don't order number three from column B."

	We called a local hospital and we called
my mother, our family medicine woman.  Both told
us the same thing:  it's heat stroke.  Keep her
cool.  Have her sip water.  Keep her prone.
Don't leave the restaurant until the sun is down
and the temperature is bearable.

	So heat is out for me.  Doesn't that wipe
out travel to a hemisphere worth of places on
earth!  I do better in the cold, though I'm thin
enough that the cold really gets to my bones.  As
I sit here at the computer, my hands are
freezing.  It slows down my typing, probably
slows down my thinking, too.  Winter has only
just arrived really.  As mild as the summer was,
the winter has been temperate.  It just got below
50º F yesterday.  And the first rain of the
season arrived with it.  Still I didn't turn on
the heat, being afraid of the five hundred dollar
PG&E bill.  Recently, finances had gotten so
desperate that I was borrowing money from my
mother every month just to get by.  The bills
surpass the dweedling income.  My income:
Disability from the U.S. government, spousal and
child support from the erstwhile.  Not enough to
make it.  Every month I'd have to announce to my
mother that I wasn't going to make it, and I
needed to borrow a couple thousand dollars again.
It was an experience I will never forget.  If it
had not been for the bequest from my great Uncle
Kuo, I would still be scuttling around on the
ground trying to evade consciousness and duck
reality.  But now things are financially bearable
for the time being.  Still, I couldn't bring
myself to turn on the heat.  I thought that as
long as we three had sweaters and enough
blankets, we should be able to get by without it.
But since the weather took a turn it changed.
Then it seemed that we three would have to have
sweaters, hats, ear muffs and goose down jackets
to get by.  And Feyna's cries were so pitiful.  I
couldn't bear it.  So this morning, I turned on
the heat.  We stood over the vent letting the hot
air fill our shirts.  Looking like open umbrellas
with thick stalks, we bunched together and
sighed.  Why is it that such heat can fell me so
swiftly in the summer, and provide a pacifying
comfort in the winter?  So the heat will stay on
when we're in the house, go off at night and when
we leave home.  My children will not cry out from
the cold.  And when the bill comes in, before I
open it, I'll take a tranquilizer.  I can afford
them thanks to Uncle Kuo.

	What is a winter like in India?  You may
tell me also about the summers, but you'll have
to wrap it in ice.

	Love,

	Tobie
--