TheBanyanTree: Fall and the holidays

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Sat Nov 19 04:02:08 PST 2005

Halloween is over. No little spooks came to our door this year. We're out in
the boonies, and our driveway winds through a quarter mile of pines. It was a
good thing we  bought treats we actually liked, since we have bags of them to
eat, now.

That nights are cool.  Cool here means in the sixties, perfect for walking
the dogs late at nght.  Things rustle in the underbrush as I, with four little
dogs on leashes, stroll the long, dark  driveway. But, if it doesn't bother
Chihuahuas, it certainly won't bother me.  Michael the cat follows, slinking like
a shadow through the critter-tunnels in the palmetto. I found tufts of rabbit
fur at the edge of the drive one mroning. I think Michael is still the
hunter, even declawed.

The neighbor's cattle low, a deep and contented sound.  I can hear Billy's
bell chime as he eats his hay. Billy is king of the goats that wander the
pasture.

I return the dogs to their beds, hand out the night time treats, and turn out
the outside lights.  The night is not black,  even so, with the  nearly full
moon and the farm lights dotting all around.  The pines trees whisper and
scent the night breeze.  Mourning  doves  shift in the branches.

I hear they had a freeze up north, in my old home area.  I miss the snow. I
miss the crunch of ice. But, I have become a weather sissy and am glad for
these balmy nights.

I have my Christmas shopping done.  We are making our Christmas cards on the
computer, to go out soon.  We will do nothing for Thanksgiving, there  is a
health issue that prevents our travel or having guests.  Perhaps, by Christmas.
We would like to think about New York City for the New Year.

We'll see.

NancyLee