TheBanyanTree: And It Continues . . .

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sat Nov 12 05:57:41 PST 2005

This warm and wonderful fall which has slipped from full October color to
the drab browns of Thanksgiving is continuing.  We finally had our wimpy
little freeze, which probably lasted all of two seconds, but the warm air
churned in again and we bask without our jackets in the low November sun.

It gets dark so early now that it’s difficult to enjoy the warm weather
after work.  Plus, I worked late a couple of nights, so when I pulled into
my driveway, I could see the shadows of children dancing in their yards.
The almost full moon has been out, illuminating the yards where people are
burning branches and leaves in their fire pits.

Our house still hasn’t sold.  An article in the paper yesterday said the
Twin Cities’ market is now officially a “buyers’ market.”  There are more
houses for sale than buyers, although the sales still almost match last year
’s record numbers.  A house in my price range will take about 4-5 months to
sell.  We had four showings last week and none of them took.  But the
comments are about things we can’t do much about.  Someone didn’t like the
kitchen, didn’t like the layout, and another couple found the house too
dark.  So far, no comments about the smell or animals.  The new carpet must
have finally eradicated the dog smell.  Sigh.

We have a showing this morning, so I’ll take advantage of it by going for a
run.  This might be my last run when it’s relatively decent outside.

Christmas is raising its ugly head as I look at the calendar and begin
lining up the Christmas related things I want to accomplish.  My son is
going to Florida next week to sell music.  Susan is going to Vegas for the
first week in December for a work conference.  I’ll be going back to
Raleigh, hopefully to finish up our presentation, in the middle of December.
When I am going to get shopping done, baking done, seeing Santa, going to
the Holidazzle parade, send out cards, and get the decorating done?

After hours of agonizing over this, I decided not hang outside Christmas
lights this year.  In the unlikely event that our house actually sells, I
didn’t want to have to leave the cords and lights frozen in snow and ice.  I
’ll hang some lights in the house like I usually do.  I think I’ll buy an
artificial tree, too, so we don’t have needles all over the floor.  Plus, I
think some people are allergic to real Christmas trees, so a fake tree might
eliminate that problem.  I’m not fond of fake trees, but we’ll do it this
year.

This weekend is the calm before the storm, I think.  Then everything
accelerates towards Christmas, or excuse me, towards the holiday season.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.bpwmn.org

Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true
measure of our thanksgiving.
~W.T. Purkiser