TheBanyanTree: Will

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Tue Nov 1 05:26:31 PST 2005

I think of my boxes and the albums and all the things that came from the
stories told us by great-grandmother-grandmother-mother . and now, it's my turn.
"This came over from Sweden with my grandfather's family . . . ."  "My
grandfather bought this for the grandfather at the World's Fair when they were first
dating . . ."etc, etc.

It's just stuff.  It might have value to those who collect such trinkets. I
could get something for it, I suppose, should I sell it.  But, what if my
children want such a touch from the past? What if my grandchildren, hearing the
stories once more, are intrigued enough to want something of that time to hold,
to touch?  Or, what if it's just . .stuff.

Your'e right, it's an anchor, all this material collection of the past. When
we go, we take the memories with us, not boxes and trunks of photos and china
creamers.  If I should suddenly want to travel the world, I could not take it
all, or any part of it, really, with me.  If I give it too much value, I might
decide I can't travel and leave all these valuable things behind. I have to
guard it. I have to keep it.

It all means something to me, yet. The little dressing table where my mother
kept her pretty hankies.  I not only have the little burled walnut dressing
table, but all the hankies still  neatly folded in the little drawers. Once a
year I might open the drawer and smell again, the gentle scent of my mother's
powders. Yes, it has value to me.  But, it is not something I can use daily. It
does not fit into my new home's decor.  It is simply a lovely, scented  bit of
the past. Right now, I can't part from it.

But the time is coming when I know I will have to  downsize, and leave these
things behind. If none of my children or their children, or  any other member
of the family has need for my stuff . . I guess strange hands  will sort and
take it away.

Ashes to ashes . . . . .