TheBanyanTree: stranger things have happened

Dee Churchill dee.cee at verizon.net
Mon May 2 12:27:51 PDT 2005

 About the experience with the Amish healer, Julie asked:

> I don't know. It is hard to believe because it would be a
> miracle.

Is it a miracle, Julie, or is it something quite normal, about which we
still know all too little?

Miracle is defined as: "An event that appears to be neither a part nor
result of any KNOWN natural law or agency and is therefore often attributed
to a supernatural or divine source." (Emphasis mine.)

The whole experience of so-called "natural healing" or "faith healing" is
one rife with both scam artists out for the buck and well-meaning but
ignorant believers who cause more damage than good. Little wonder we regard
any example with suspicion. As long as we don't understand what is going on
and how it's able to happen, there will be room for the fakes who confuse
the issue. But something DOES happen SOMETIMES under as-yet-to-be recognized
and defined situations.

And I know this because? Let me tell you...

Back in the '70s my then-husband accidentally shifted a very heavy roll of
plastic from a high shelf. It fell, end down, on his big toe. Although no
bones were broken, the toe was crushed -- a swollen, Concord grape-colored,
excruciatingly painful mess. The doctor could do little besides prescribe
pain meds and advise George to stay off the foot as much as possible and
just tough it through while it healed itself.

To add to the problem, George was a member of the Shrine Foot Patrol and the
unit was due to perform an exhibition that week. No way he could appear with
his bedroom slippers, one of which was now toeless, even if he could have
stood the pain and stress the marching would place on the damaged toe.

As he sat there that evening in misery, I tentatively asked him if he'd like
me to call Marti over to see if she could do anything. Marti was our
neighbor and friend and, although George liked her immensely, he made fun of
our interest in things metaphysical...the "woo woo stuff." The fact that
Marti seemed to have that "natural healing ability" was one he didn't argue
but didn't believe, either. Still, the man was desperate with pain and
willing to try anything.

George had his bare foot propped up on a stool, the livid toe making
everyone wince with sympathy. Marti held her hand over the foot, hovering
about an inch above, never touching. As she held her hand in place, I was
fascinated to see it turn purplish with congested blood, the blood vessels
on the back of her hand bulging and pumping. Every little bit she would pull
her hand back and shake it sharply several times, as though flinging off
something. Each time she did the shaking, the hand would go back to its
normal color and appearance. Each time she held it over George's foot, it
would discolor and bulge again.

After a few minutes she did the final shake and told George that's all she
knew to do and that she'd pray for him that night. He commented that while
her hand was in place, he felt as though there was an intense heat filling
his foot, one that was soothing, not painful.

Here's the payoff...the next morning, both swelling and discoloration were
absolutely gone, as was the pain. (The toenail remained black and eventually
fell off.) George happily marched with his unit that week and
enthusiastically sang Marti's praises to everyone.

What happened? I have no idea, though I've read various theories involving
directed energy. Did Marti know what happened? No. She didn't consider
herself a healer as much as she considered herself a willing channel for
healing application of energy. Did she have success each time she tried? No.
She never knew if what she did would work or not. It often did not work when
she most wanted it to succeed.

Miracle? I like to believe all of life is an amazing miracle, no faith
required. I'm inclined to view so-called supernatural events merely as
something not yet understood.

Is L. healed? I sure hope so. He is, after all, a miracle of bioengineering
(as are all living creations) and operates that body with a miraculous mind
and spirit. So what's one more lovely miracle?  Maybe it will come through
the Amish healer. Maybe it will come from a test tube. But you can believe
in miracles. Really. Even if they don't always happen the way you expect or
want.

Hugs, Dee...