TheBanyanTree: An opposing view

John Bailey eniac at btopenworld.com
Thu May 26 13:49:25 PDT 2005

Wednesday May 25, 2005

AN OPPOSING VIEW

I wonder why they call it 'noodling'? You know, as applied to a period of
time you spend turning from task to task, project to project, doing lots of
things but never finishing anything? It's a nice word. 'Pottering' would do
as well, I suppose. I use both of them as defence against the charge that I
seldom actually finish anything I start.

I have a lot of those. Defences, I mean. Like saying 'yes, but not now'. Or
'yes, one day, perhaps'. I hand them out to other people and, I confess, to
myself. Not sure about that 'confess', but let it pass.

Like my defence, when my back is against the wall, against the inward urge
or external demand that I write a new book, or finish an old one. 'What do
you think this is?' I am prone to ask, defensively. 'Just count the words
I've written here.' Referring to the journal, of course. Not to mention the
poems, paintings and photographs.

Once, a good long while back, having reached the end of yet another failed
attempt to finish a book, I defended myself to myself, saying that there
was nothing wrong with making the keeping of a journal and an eternally
growing heap of poems a life-work. The argument suits me, of course. It
never finishes, keeping a journal, you see, not until the day arrives when
you can't pick up the pen or apply fingers to keyboard. At that point you
either destroy the whole thing, probably the best, most merciful course of
action, or tie it up in ribbon, lodge it in a drawer, and leave it to
someone else to sort out in the future. Someone with a bit more
determination and a lot more sense of the desirability of finished work, of
product.

It's all about product, you see. There's an all-pervasive judgemental
demand nowadays, requiring product as a measure of success. A bound book or
a finished and framed painting. Something tangible, which can be sold, and
result in visible figures on the balance sheet. The adherents of this
approach, and that's almost everyone, believe that you can't succeed, or be
judged a success, unless your efforts lead to a product, and that product
to an income.

Mayhap. Been there, done that, and I'm still living on the income. In my
third age I tend to an opposing view, thinking that the labour is reward
enough for me. Product is for industrialists, so far as I'm concerned, and
industry is something from which I am, happily, retired.

--

John Bailey   Lincolnshire, England

journal of a writing man:
<http://www.oldgreypoet.com>