TheBanyanTree: Waterlogged

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sun May 22 06:42:24 PDT 2005

As I look out my window this morning, I can see blue sky and the sun.  My
eyes are having a difficult time adjusting this new light, after being
exposed to nothing but dark rain spitting clouds all week.  As our world was
getting darker and wetter, our trees and grasses and plants and flowers were
taking advantage of this excess moisture and turning our part of Minnesota
into a northern rain forest.  Everything is a deep, rich shade of green.  I’
m astonished that the sun managed to find a hole in the clouds, as the
weather people predicted another gray day for us.  But it’s early and the
clouds could still roll in as the day progresses.

I ran an entire 5K yesterday.  There was no drama and no excitement.  I
finished second to last, number 275 out of 276, all women.  The last woman
to finish is 77 years old.  My time was 44:01.  Any turtle could have beaten
me yesterday.

Here are my excuses:  I’ve only been running for two months.  I didn’t run
at all for the last two weeks because I was out of town during one week and
when I tried to run last week, my left knee was so sore, I couldn’t even run
a few feet without being in serious pain.  I was surprised I was able to run
at all yesterday.  I was going to walk the 5K, but I found after warming up
and stretching, my left knee felt OK, and so I ran . . . very, very slowly.
I actually walk faster than I run.

My plan of action is to cut down the distance of my week night runs to about
two miles and try to increase my speed.  Then on  Saturday, I’ll do a 5K run
at a good pace.  I’ll keep wearing my old shoes, because that seems to be
what my knee feels comfortable with.  It doesn’t like my new running shoes
at all.  I’ll also ice down after runs and I’m going to stretch out before
and after as well.  I’ll figure this thing out eventually.  Being second to
last is very humiliating and definitely a wake up call.

My legs were pretty sore yesterday.  I still can’t bend my left knee very
much.  We went to the Twins/Brewers game last night and fortunately our
seats were inside a rail and I was able to rest my left leg on a short wall
and have my leg sticking straight out, otherwise I don’t think I would have
been able to sit comfortably through the game.  Of course, the game itself
wasn’t very comfortable, the Twins lost 6-0.

Surprisingly, it rained yesterday.  The 5K took place along Mississippi
Blvd, which is a road located on the bluffs above the Mississippi River.  On
one side is the river and on the other side are beautiful mansions.  But the
rain didn’t dampen the beauty of the course.  After the game, Ray and I
drove along the Blvd home.  It was drizzling a bit, but the soft lights from
the mansions illuminating the dark night were beautiful.

I’ll go to workout later today and that will help reduce the soreness.  It’s
funny how after working hard and being sore, a work out will help eliminate
the stiffness.  I’ll also sit in the sauna for a while.  Nothing is better
than a sauna!  I won’t run again until Tuesday, so I should be ready to go
by then.  Our next 5K is on Father’s Day.  Hopefully, I won’t be second to
last.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.polarispublications.com
Be a star!

http://www.bpwmn.org

They say that age is all in your mind.  The trick is keeping it from
creeping down into your body.  ~Author Unknown