TheBanyanTree: Making Appointments

Monique monique.ybs at verizon.net
Tue May 10 13:41:30 PDT 2005

Five minutes ago I made an appt. All by myself. This in itself is no big
deal, since I make appointments all the time. But this was with a
DOCTOR. That in itself is a big deal, considering that lately the
medical establishment has been intent on probing and testing me to find
out what I've got inside of me, and I'm likely to avoid that sort of
thing whenever possible. But this was a routine appointment I needed, to
get a routine medication prescription filled, and so I thought it'd be
okay.

I'm sure it will. Hopefully I won't be subjected to any stringent tests
before I'm given my prescription, which is for something I've been
taking for many years.

But making the appointment? I haven't been to the local facility that
services those of us with this particular kind of insurance. (Me, with
health insurance. It's like a miracle. All thanks to my domestic
partner.) I've been to the specialty center down in Redmond (yes, that
Redmond) for various tests and probes and indignities, but not to my
local routine health care center. So I called them up.

I noticed last week, as I was navigating the I-5 during rush hour, an ad
on the side of a bus that indicated that this medical provider could
give appointments the VERY SAME DAY. This is false advertising, as I was
to find out, but I wasn't in that much of a hurry anyway. I just found
it . . . amusing . . . knowing how long my much loved domestic partner
must wait for an appointment.

So anyway, I called them up. I sat on hold for a few minutes, or maybe
five, and then the nice lady was very accommodating. So accommodating
that when I explained I hadn't been there before, but that I needed to
see someone to get a prescription filled, she offered to put me right
through to the pharmacy. I explained that I didn't think the pharmacy
would fill a prescription since I've never seen one of their doctors . .
.

She laughed, and said she'd be happy to set me up. Asked if I had a
primary care doctor. I said no. I'm just thrilled to have any kind of
medical professional talk to me without asking for $200 upfront, so I'm
not exactly very particular. She asked if I'd prefer a male or a female
doctor.

I don't really care. This is a simple thing, after all. But I said
female, out of habit. We're supposed to not mind being cross examined by
other females, aren't we? Not to mention the poking and prodding. But
this particular need of mine doesn't require poking and prodding, only
cross examination. Under heavy duty lights.

Then the receptionist said, and I found this quite amusing, "We don't
have any female doctors accepting new patients right now . . . "

She was trying to say something after that, but I was laughing too hard
to know what it was. "It was a trick question!"

She tried to back out of it by claiming she was going to say I could see
a male physician now, and then, when and if a female has openings, I
could change. Well, obviously. Even I, inexperienced as I am in the ways
of the medical profession, knew that. Cripes, I just wanted to see
someone with the authority to sign their name on a prescription, I don't
care if they pee standing up or sitting down.

So I got an appointment on Friday with a doctor who has the ability to
pee standing up. I doubt that's going to be relevant, but I think it's
important to note it anyway.

I'm just hoping for no more poking and prodding.

Monique