TheBanyanTree: pirates

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Thu Mar 10 09:36:14 PST 2005

> Now, the next part of my morning I am suffering "buyer's regret" over.  You
> see, I love pirates. I know it's silly for a 48 year old woman to love
> pirates....but I do.

You are not alone.  I am another 40-something year old woman who loves
pirates.  Real ones.  In fact, certain pirate characteristics are
essential for me in a relationship.  A certain fearlessness, a burning
need for adventure, some wanderlust, a glint in the eye, a shine on the
boots.  I want someone to pick me up and swing me around with a
belly-laughing har har har when he's glad to see me.  I want someone who
likes me when my hair is a tangled, seaweedy mess, when my fingernails are
dirty, when I cuss like a sailor.  Someone who throws me the rope or hands
me the wheel without doubting my seaworthyness.  A perfect, pirate man--he
carries some reckless abandon in his soul.  He loves the wind on his face.
My pirate and I would race through the riggings and carry swords for
tongues and scare each other a little and love each other fiercely.

Julie