TheBanyanTree: Palm Springs & Coachella Valley

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 21 15:12:14 PST 2005

Got back recently from the visit to southern California.  We flew into
Los Angeles (the LAX airport) arriving around noon to light rain and
clouds abounding. The winds made the landing a little unstable but
there were no mishaps.  California isn't typically in my travel plans
but upon each visit I always tell myself that  it should be.

My daughter traveled with me on this trip.  She had never been to
California before and was looking forward to seeing some of the things
that she had seen on TV and had heard her friends talk about.

We left the airport and drove over to Santa Monica, saw the pier and
Pacific and then decided to drive up the Pacific Coast highway
(California highway 1) to see some of the coastline.  The highway had
many stops and slow downs on it due to the mudslides that have occurred
in the area recently.  We stopped off in Malibu, had lunch at a Mexican
restaurant and continued on up toward Oxnard.  While on the road
between Malibu and Oxnard we saw two huge rainbows that oddly, on both,
one end appeared to end only a few hundred yards from the highway some
of the hundreds of strawberry fields in the area.  The rainbows were
nothing short of breathtaking and good omens for what turned out to be
some excellent times in the next few days.

 From Oxnard we traveled east toward the upper suburbs of Los Angeles.
Even though it was a spur of the moment decision and gave them no time
to prepare for our visit, Cecil and Lou Talley served as gracious hosts
for a short visit to see them in La Verne.  Meeting Lou and seeing
Cecil again was priceless.  Not wanting to wear out our welcome, we
left La Verne and traveled on to Palm Springs after short time from
there in hideous, excruciating slow traffic over wet roads.  When it
snows in Atlanta (a rare occurrence) you do not want to be on the
highways because people that live in the area do NOT know how to drive
on the highways with snow on them.  I'm convinced that the similar is
true in LA in the rain.  People just don't know how to drive on wet
roads there ;-)

Of course, we stopped at an "In & Out" burger stand, something my
daughter just had to do while in S. California, having heard about them
from "People" magazine, MTV, and her friends.  She was not disappointed
with their fare or service.  They are perpetually busy and very popular
with Gen X'ers and the younger kids.

Palm Springs was rainy on Saturday and cloudy on Sunday.  The weather
improved on Monday and was quite sunny.  Tuesday was bright and fair,
temps in the high 80s.  Snow covered mountains ring the area, and most
of the lower elevation mountains are tinted a light green now since the
rains have come with such intensity in the last few months.  The
typical rainfall for a year in that area is 2 inches per year.   They
had that in one day several times already this year, plus other lesser
intensity rainfall days. To put it mildly the desert doesn't look
anything like it did the other times I have been there.  Some of the
world's highest sand dunes are located in this area.  The sand dunes do
not look like sand dunes now.  They look like light green mountains
blending in with the other mountains in the area.  The thing that
differentiates them from the other mountains now only is that they are
not as high and are the only smooth mountains to be seen. (the other
mountains are also light green but chock-a-block full of rocks jutting
out at weird angles)  The Palm Springs area is famous for its wind
turbines. There are more there now than ever.  For windmill aficionados
it is Mecca.

My daughter got to make a day visit and hike in the Joshua Tree
National Park area.  She said the desert in bloom was beautiful and
enjoyed the area immensely.  Just south of Joshua Tree the big fault
line Y's off with one section named the San Andres fault and the other
forking off into the San Andreas fault,  both ground zeros of seismic
activity.

http://www.joshua.tree.national-park.com/

My original plans were to have more of my family with me on this trip
but it wasn't to be.  Those plans had us staying for almost a week but
that wasn't to be either.  We were to travel to Joshua Tree, and
Sequoyah and Yosemite National parks as well if we had the time but it
all turned out differently.   Well, maybe next time, should next time
be afforded us.

My daughter definitely wants to go back and see more of S California.
I'd be very surprised if she doesn't make that happen in the next few
years. (If nothing else she's gotta' get another In & Out burger ;-)

    bd
     ------