TheBanyanTree: Welcome to Equal Night

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 21 06:53:59 PST 2005

Today is March 20th and Spring, our Vernal Equinox, is officially here.

Today is a veritable spring day.  The sun came early,  light streaming
through the bedroom curtains,  it rising above the hilltop,  beaming
through a cloudless sky.  Today's temperatures are moderate and do not
requiring AC or heating for the house to be comfortable.  Earlier this
week we had a spate of miserable, cold-mixed-with-rain weather.  Today
is heaven.  The only thing that needs to be done is open up as many
windows as possible and let fresh air waft in.  That is especially
important as owners of one rebellious cat, a cat known for his
prodigious & malodorous dumps.  Said cat has things all backward.  He
wants to be let out daily so he can ambush birds, though he doesn't
hurt them as he has been de-clawed, and then insists on coming inside.
For what?  To poop, of course.  I suppose that he's just too high class
to poop in the yard like a normal tomcat.

Most of the trees are now budding, the Bradford Pear trees in the area
are losing their white blossoms to tender green leaves, the sweet gums
are pumping out shoots and patches of green are showing up in the lawn.
  In the neighbor's yard at the end of the street white jonquils have
popped above decaying leaves under white oak trees. More birds are
heard singing daily and right now a deeply-hued male bluebird sings
from atop a fence post in my neglected garden.  He's happy.  It shows
in his song.  Sing on, brother, sing your heart out.  I, for one, feel
it, too.

The sun comes up due East now, daylight is served starting at earlier
hours and nightfall continues working its way to its shortest point
come another 90 days.

At times seasons of life seem exemplified by our earth's seasons as I,
to some people's way of thinking, approach my autumnal equinox.

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/riteofspring1.html

Glad spring tidings to all,

    bd
     ------