TheBanyanTree: Honey Moon

Dale M. Parish parishdm at att.net
Mon Jun 6 16:14:14 PDT 2005

Things have been so hectic here for the last six months, I've not
posted anything to the list, and have only sparsely been reading
anything.  But I happened to catch Maria's 'Yearning' post and felt
somewhat self-divorced here, and want to remedy the situation, and
invite all my Banyan friends who may be passing through south east
Texas next month to my wedding.

After my divorce a few years ago, listening to my female friends about
their dating experiences with recently divorced men, I made a self
committment that I wouldn't do anything serious for two years after
the divorce.  After a few months, I started reading the on-line ads,
and finally decided to post one on myself-- within hours, I had women
emailing me saying that they were free to come for the weekend.  No
thank you.  Maybe I'm a little old fashioned, but I want to look at
the horse and see it work before riding it.

I withdrew from the national dating scene and posted an ad on the
local singles club's board-- "WANTED: Big-boned gal with good driving
record who can drive a tractor, plow, plant, sleep on the ground,
start a fire, swim in pond water, butcher.  Graduate degree preferred."

Eight outa nine ain't bad.  She says she only responsed because her
girl friend-- whom I'm told posted the ad anyway-- said that if she
didn't, the girl friend would have. ;-)  She teaches high school
physics, although her masters is in geology, and spent two summers
sleeping in a tent in Big Bend National Park doing her masters field
work.  It was spooky to visit her house the first time-- I'm
automatically drawn to bookshelves-- and see there so many of the same
books that were on my bookshelves.  She drug me to Big Bend between
Christmas and  New Years and we spent a week sleeping on the ground
and walking the rocks and trails.  I got a good education and we had a
lot of fun.

Now we've set a time -- 20050703T1800T at N30°07.242 W093°48.518 and
want to invite ya'll to a barbecue.  Nothing formal and no presents.
We've both got houses full of *stuff* and don't want any more junk.
Just show up in barbecue eating clothes and help us celebrate.  The
meat's on me-- you can bring something to go along if you want.

And the honeymoon?  She's involved with the Jason Project, if you're
familar with that, whose theme next year is exploration of Mars, and
the Project is sending earth bound teachers to Mars-like earth
terrains, so for our honeymoon, she's dragging me to Death Valley in
the middle of July for three graduate semester hours credit.  What
better honeymoon for a perpetual student?!!

Ya'll come if ya can.

Hugs,
Dale
--