TheBanyanTree: Rain and New Trees

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Mon Jun 6 04:55:52 PDT 2005

We selected and planted five new fruit trees.  We bought them from a fellow
who once had a large citrus grove, and, now retired from that,  propigates,
grows, and sells a variety of citrus and other fruit trees to the public. It's a
small operation, in his own yard. It's a big yard, maybe an acre or so, but
not a huge operation by a long shot.

He's very knowledgeable, and so when he loaded our pickup with our new little
trees, he gave us detailed instructions on how to plant and care for them.

We planted them in a large circle on one corner of our lawn (where we could
see them from the house). The intention being that one day we might build a
gazebo in the middle of the circle. We "mounded" the trees, and formed the little
earth dam around to hold water, and faithfully watered them twice a week as
per the instructions.

There was a some fruit on some of the trees. He warned us that leaves and
fruit would drop. "Shock from being moved," he said.

We had a tangerine, tangelo, orange, and a lemon, and one peach tree loaded
with tiny peaches.

Then came the beginning of our rainy season. We no longer have to water, and
there was minimal leaf drop and NO fruit drop. Plus, the warm, daily rains
spurred the little trees to new growth. They are now growing well and lush, and
we'll have fruit coming in season.

Between the fruit trees, our little garden, the strawberry patch, and
chickens for eggs and meat, we'll be able to cut down on our grocery runs.

I feel like a pioneer.

NancyLee