TheBanyanTree: Independence Day

Guy Koehler rivendellranch at centurytel.net
Mon Jul 4 07:20:10 PDT 2005

On Monday 04 July 2005 6:08 am, Margaret R. Kramer wrote:
> The American Revolution was a beginning, not a
> consummation.  ~Woodrow Wilson

Independence Day
by Guy Koehler
431 words

 What a great movie! Arrogant scientist, warrior turned
 leader, and a drunk save the world from all-powerful alien
 invaders. They run into a little mischief along the way
 from career bureaucrats and other assorted devil dogs, but
 where's a good story without a bad guy?

 "These are the times that try men's souls," said Tom Paine:
 misfit son of a nobody, rascal, patriot, Founding Father.

 So what's got my girdle in a pinch? A bunch of idiot
 hooligans willing to torch the entire world so they can
 live high on the hog after their god rescues them,
 politicians who don't give a damn about the little guy
 (unless there's a buck to be made), and a serious shortage
 of excellent dark, bitter chocolate.

 Freedom of Religion protects a minority of one from the
 tyranny of one million. Each and every one of you (men,
 women, and children) are the key to our tribal safety.
 Allow extremist fundamentalists (be they Arabs or
 home-grown pulpit-thumpers) to run the show, and we'll all
 burn together on an Earth dotted by mushroom clouds.

 Freedom of Speech shouts Madam Liberty from rooftops,
 streets, and the courthouse steps.  I will not be silent
 until every one of my neighbors is also free to worship
 whoever – with whatever words make sense to them; and, to
 pursue life, liberty, and happiness as they see fit. You
 might consider being civil, polite, and say “Thank you” and
 “Please” once in a while, just for the Hell of it. No more
 witch burnings, tar and feathering, or other assorted fun
 and frolic. Don't like it? Get over it!

 "We have it in our power to begin the world over again!"
 shouted Tom Paine. If he was here today, he would use any
 trick in his bag of shadows to save our Constitution and
 Bill of Rights from straight-and-narrow fundamentalists,
 political whores, and greedy neighbors who think they
 should live high on the hog while the rest of us cower out
 back in the cotton fields.

 Think I'm a dangerous radical?  Damn right!  I am now in a
 life and death struggle to resurrect our America given us
 (to nurture and protect) by Benjamin Franklin, George
 Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Thomas Paine: men who
 loved this Land enough to risk their life blood to take it
 back from a swarm of tyrants. True American Patriots do not
 need or want a King.

 Live from the Heart of Outlaw Territory...

 Guy Koehler
 Rivendell Ranch
 Axeford Prairie, Cascadia (98552)
 http://home.centurytel.net/rivendellranch