TheBanyanTree: Job Past

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sat Jul 30 06:23:16 PDT 2005

A former co-worker of mine, who has retired and moved to Fort Lauderdale, FL
several years ago, called me last night.  He’s a delightful person.  We had
our moments at work, but we always enjoyed each other’s company.  He always
knew of the most interesting neighborhoods, the most interesting places to
take walks, and the most interesting little cafes and restaurants.  We’ve
stayed in touch over the years and talking to him brought back memories of
my old job, but the memories were of when it really was my old job and
before it got so dysfunctional.

It was a good job with lots of business coming in the door, so there was
that edge to it, the edge to stay on top of things.  We were learning new
stuff all the time.  That was the time when PCs were bursting into
workplaces and homes, and we were the first business unit in our company to
use PCs for our jobs.  We were members of cross functional business teams
and worked on and changed business processes.  We bonded with each other,
the strong personalities along with the laid back personalities, and helped
each other out.

Then as our company decided to pull out of the health insurance business,
our efforts began to whither, die, and then finally our little unit descend
into obscurity and we were sold to another company.  My co-worker retired
soon after that and then after a few years of blissful retirement in
Minnesota, he moved to Florida.  Now he’s thinking about moving to North
Carolina and since I’m there for business from time to time, we might meet
in North Carolina next month.  He’s thinking of becoming a “half-back,” a
northerner who moves to the deep south, and then moves half way back.

I also found out that my new job and my old job now have a link.  One of my
new coworkers left our company a month or so ago.  She was at one of our
happy hours this week and she told me she’s working with someone I know.  It
turns out she is working with a person I recommended to my current company,
but she turned down the offer, and is now working for this other company.
They’re best buds at this new place, so that’s good.  It’s amazing what a
small world this is.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.bpwmn.org

You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4, not
with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a
show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw
Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness.  You
may think you have overeaten, but it is patriotism. .  ~Erma Bombeck