TheBanyanTree: SUB: Untended Grave / 192 / Prose Poetry

Guy Koehler rivendellranch at centurytel.net
Fri Jul 22 13:12:44 PDT 2005

Untended Grave
By Guy Koehler
http://home.centurytel.net/rivendellranch/
192 Words

Harvest lies still-born in the late-July overcast sweat,
under the spent husks of wild weeds. Their flourish already
spent, spewn to the four corners on dust-devils. I stand
bare-headed in the open fields, under Summer failure, our
baptism into the embrace of Man's new sun.

The birds feast on mosquitoes, laden with each new foreign
peril, singing their delight, fair to burst, yet hungered
still for my scratched furrow of squandered seed. Not even
the wind speaks aloud the ancient tormented wails I hear
breathing across my soul.

Death, doom, destruction: no more floods was a lie --
something evil already arrived, sits on our doorsteps while
we fight over riches we do not need.

My true-love died before birth bespoke a name. I sit now,
bereft of reason, hope - soaking the fallow Mother, one
salty pearl by untended care. I have led myself to an empty
table, cup upended, awash in futures dead. As my neighbors
festive dance the day away, Midnight calls.

Is there any other to hold this staff? I fear my strength
was never enough.

Here lies my pride, uncovered, the last skin of an ordinary
man.

END