TheBanyanTree: Finding Finds

Maria Gibson mgibson7 at nc.rr.com
Sat Jul 2 08:20:41 PDT 2005

Our family of three is soon to become a family of five.  My eldest son
and his wife are moving in next week.  My youngest son and husband are
on their way to Iowa to see family and I am here, alone for a week, to
organize all the piles and piles we have accumulated over the past
several years.  We have rearranged every room of the house, dispensed
with a dining room never used to become a family room we can all use.
Randy ran all the wires and cables, moved heavy furniture upstairs,
other heavy furniture downstairs and some heavy furniture right out the
door.  It has been a week of merely rearranging a house and phenomenally
rearranging lives.

I thought I would be resentful.  I thought I would be stressed at the
thought.  I am instead joyful and anticipating and refreshingly without
angst.  I am hopeful and relieved.  I think this is a second chance at
being a parent and, finally, to one who has matured and has a better
perspective of his own.  We all have re-shaped our perspectives.  I find
that a lot is happening, both physically and mentally and like a rock in
the current I am just enjoying the silky ripples and rhythms of the
stream, even as the water is surely rising.  For the first time since
moving here I am actually doing some decorating and enjoying this house
I have disliked, at times intensely.  I forgive you, house, for being
bought in a time of enormous stress.  I forgive you for representing for
so long the beginning of the beginning of my present life and being the
white elephant of my lost and longed for former life.  Forgive me for
taking seven years to come to some sort of grip.

November 20, 2000.  That's the date on the x-ray envelope of Socks, my
sweet and dear departed cat.  It was unexpected, coming across this
sharp and tangible evidence of a tiny life lived.  It made me cry for
him again and say 'hey, he was just a *cat*' and then 'hey, you *loved*
no....*love* that cat.'  And, stamped on the envelope, Dr. Stanley's
name....loved; dead and gone just as surely as the cat.  Taking a moment
to cry for the cat and the vet and then for the twin towers because any
date for me is either -before- or -after- the terrorist attack.  And now
I have three reasons to cry for loss that has previously been grieved
and previously been a huge lump in my throat and chest that for long
periods of time didn't go away.  They all still hurt so much.  I can get
past them but they deserve a moment of my sadness and grief, not to be
downplayed, not to be swept away.  I need to feel the pain just to
remind me of what I have lost.

And then get back to moving forward.

Maria