TheBanyanTree: Goin' To The Fair

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Sun Jan 30 20:24:41 PST 2005

We are helping several 4-H youngsters prepare, train, groom, their Miniature
Horses for the fair. Other trainers, teachers, and parents are also helping
the twenty five or so children in the many task of preparation and practice.

"That's a nice colt you have there," someone comments. One of the youngsters
is training one of our Miniature Horses, since she has none of her own.

"You should show him in the Open Classes," someone adds.

"Who me?"  "Show at the fair?" we say.

We also have a very tiny (26 and a-half inches tall) little red mare.

"How about we show her as well?" we ask each other.

So, now the online search for show outfits, and running around town for hoof
polish, fancy boots, show shampoo and Show Sheen spray, and practice.   One of
us has never shown, and the other hasn't shown in years.

"It'll be fun," we tell each other, as we both question the wisdom of doing
it at all.

Tomorrow we body-clip the little horses (which means clip off the long,
shaggy winter coats). The next day we bid again on ebay for spangled, glittery
outfits.  It's a new-old challenge for us both.