TheBanyanTree: The Window IS Down, Dad!

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 30 09:12:56 PST 2005

Background:

[Yesterday my daughter fell down some steps at our house when she, in a hurry
because she was late for work, fell down a flight of steps.  The steps were
coated with ice, frozen sleet and a layer of ice over those two.  The hand
rail was also coated with a layer ice ice about 1/2 inch thick and it was
useless as a support.  She fell the full length of the stairs, hind end first
from the top rung of the stairs to the bottom.  She, unlike our dear Maria,
was not hurt other than a badly bruised backside.]

Yesterday, after my daughter had fallen down the icy stairs on her backside,
ESPECIALLY after falling down the stairs and paying such a price, she insisted
on going in to work.

After hearing the clamor on the stairs, rushing out to see if she was injured,
finding she wasn't hurt badly, and getting my wits back and seeing that she
was hell bent to go to work, regardless of the weather,  I decided to help
her get the car's ice coating chipped off enough to be able to drive it.

One side of the car was iced over worse that the other (the driver's side had
a heavier coating of ice than the passenger's side)  After chipping, whacking
and scraping away ice on the windshield, the back window, the headlights, the
tail lights and the passenger's side windows, I proceeded to start on the
driver's side windows.

But before, after I got the passenger's side ice chipped away enough that the
door could be opened,  my daughter had gotten in the car and started the
engine.  She turned the heater on defrost and set it at MAX, turned the rear
glass defroster on (the heat tape embedded in the glass, which, by the way,
we discovered has now given up the ghost and defrosted not a lick of ice at
all) She then sat there and waited in the car, with the radio going,  for me
to finish chipping and scraping that confounded ice.

When I got to the driver's side I did the window behind the driver's seat
first.  It was coated with at least 3/8 inch of ice.  It fought all the way
but I eventually got it.  My hands were freezing, I had busted a knuckle, and
I was bleeding from a cut in the palm of my right hand by this time.

As I started on the passenger's  side window, I had an idea.  "Sweetheart, I
need for you to try to open the door,"  I told my daughter.  The door was
frozen shut, of course, and she had the radio playing so she didn't hear me
well.  "Huh," she said.

I told her again, this time telling her to work the door opening handle and
kinda' bang against the door with her shoulder, me thinking that that would
break the ice around the door and make a lot of it come off at one time --  in
a sheet, mind you.

She still had trouble making out what I said, so . . . she decided to roll
down the window.  The car had been running long enough that the heater had
started warming the inside of the car enough that it was just beginning to
melt a small, small portion of the ice in places.  One of those places was
the driver's side window.

The window came down fine but, remarkably, there was still a window between
us.  The whole ice window, a 3/8 inch sheet of perfectly formed ice window,
stayed in place!  Even though the window was down, the "window" WASN'T down!

We both started laughing our hind end's off at that.  It struck us as so
funny, especially under the circumstances.

After we recovered, I instructed her to roll the window back up (didn't want
the ice window to get busted and fall INTO the car -- what a cold mess that
would'a made.  She did and it did.  And then I worked on chipping and scraping
that off, too.

With that done I instructed her again to open the door, using her body as a
"ram" against the door and by this time that worked excellently.

Thus freed fully from the ice, I made up my mind then to chauffeur her, as I
trust my driving better than hers on a dry road, much less an icy one.

Arriving safe, but late, to her job she put in her day's work and I picked her
up later that day, when, by the way, the roads were in somewhat better
condition.

When she got in the car that evening, I asked her, "How'd it go today,
Sweetheart?"

Her answer?  "Fine, Dad, unless, of course,  I tried to sit down."

  bd
    ----