TheBanyanTree: On the Menu

Maria Gibson mgibson7 at nc.rr.com
Sat Jan 29 17:28:33 PST 2005

We are in for an ice world tonight, a cold and dreary affair.  But.  In
here we are anticipating a fabulous meal!  I got this soup recipe a long
time ago and our family has made it a staple in our winter diet.  It had
at least double the fat and calories way back then but since my way of
losing weight is to include food we love but made over for nutrition, it
has had its turn at the makeover table.  The dessert was brought to me
last Friday as I lay around with a broken rib and no gumption to cook.
It also has had a tunr on the makeover table and now fits into our food
plan as perfectly as if it has always been there!  So, enjoy this fare
on a cold and dreary night and keep warm all my friends!!!

Broccoli Cheese Soup

6 cups water
6 chicken stock cubes
1 lb broccoli cuts or florets
1 stick Land O' Lakes light butter
1 medium onion, diced
1/3 cup flour
1 lb Light Velveeta, cubed
1/4 cup light sour cream
pepper
garlic powder

Boil water w/stock cubes and broccoli until broccoli very soft.  Melt
butter in pan and add onion, cook until soft.  Add flour and cook about
2 minutes.  Add to boiled broccoli and stir to thicken.  Add cheese
until melted and then add sour cream.  Add pepper and garlic powder to
taste.  Makes 9 cups and can easily be doubled.
160 calories, 3.5 grams fat, 14 grams carbs, 2 grams fiber

Cherry Berry Crumble

1 can no sugar added cherry pie filling
1 12oz bag frozen raspberries
1 1/2 tbs rum (optional)
3 sheets low fat graham crackers
1/4 cup oatmeal
2 tbs brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbs light butter, cold

Mix pie filling, frozen berries and rum together, put in a greased 8x8
baking dish.  Process graham crackers with the oatmeal, cinnamon and
brown sugar until crushed fine.  Pulse cold butter in until well mixed
with fine crumbs.  Spread on top of mixture and bake at 350 for 25
minutes or until filling has begun to bubble up around edges.  Makes 8
servings.
120 calories (w/rum, 115 w/o), 2 grams fat, 20 grams carbs (not exactly
a low carb option), 1.5 grams fiber.

I'll be honest.  The Cherry Berry Crumble is just about *worth* a broken

Maria