TheBanyanTree: Update - Back from Guatemala

pat.martin pat.martin at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 19 12:34:51 PST 2005

Dear Friends,

The last time I wrote to the Tree was in mid-November 2004.  I was in Guatemala doing volunteer work with children, had become very ill and hoped for a speedy recovery.  It wasn't to be... I was sick for over a month with a peculiar infection in my lungs, had three weeks when I felt better (went to Honduras to celebrate my birthday on November 27th and saw the Mayan ruins at Copan during that time), then became sick again.  My husband, Andrew became ill with the lung infection as well, and was much sicker than me.

We returned to Canada on December 14th, both of us ill, and had a very quiet Christmas with our daughter, Michelle.   Michelle has become quite the writer!  She is on staff for the University of Victoria's newspaper, The Martlet, is a free-lance writer for The Epoch Times, and has published many stories in other publications related to human rights issues.  I'm sure proud of her!

Andrew is fully recovered now and on January 27th is heading to San Miguel de Allende in Mexico to work with Casa Ayuda, another project for underprivileged children.  He is convinced there are too many risks associated with Guatemala, both health and safety-related.  He hopes that San Miguel will be cleaner, and that one can go outdoors in the evening without fear of being robbed or worse.

I am staying at home in Canada for the time being because I still have a 'strange' cough (unlike anything I've ever had in the past) and want to get rid of it before I put myself at risk again.  I've made an appointment with a naturopath and hope she will be able to help me.  I want to get rid of the cough and strengthen my immune system before scheduling my next trip.

In spite of health issues, my experience in Guatemala was amazing.  I feel I have found my 'true calling' and would like to pursue this type of work.  My heart tells me to return to 'my kids' in Guatemala who had begun to call me "Mommy".  My husband tells me he is not prepared to go there.  I have not decided whether I will travel to Guatemala or follow my husband to Mexico.

I received an email from one of the teachers at Casa Hogar last week who told me that the children are asking about me and don't want me to forget about them.  I found myself in tears off and on all day.  Although some of them were little hellions during the day, all of them were little angels at night.  I miss hugging them.  I miss having to peel them off me just before I tucked them into bed.  I miss telling them I love them.

Since coming home, I've been busy making up booklets about my experiences in Guatemala and will try to do some fund raising for Safe Passage (Camino Seguro).  I can truly say that this organization is making a huge difference to these children.  I plan to approach local doctors, dentists & optometrists to make them aware of the project, as I know some of them volunteer their services for brief periods.

I am trying to learn Front Page 2003 at the moment so that I can make up a website showing all of my photos.  If anyone out there has experience with this program and is up to answering a few questions as they come up, let me know.

As well, I still have many stories to write about my final month in Guatemala, and I am continuing to study Spanish.

Even without working at a paying job, my days are full.  My life, at this time, is very, very good.

Pat Martin